Friday, April 5, 2024

5 thing Friday - insoles, yard plans, rugs, things to love, quesadillas

I had points with Alegria , so I decided to replace the insoles on a couple of pairs of work shoes.
The insoles normally last me about a year, at which point they are so smushed down that they offer minimal cushion.  I am happy to replace the insoles instead of the entire shoe!
Spring days are meant for sitting in your own backyard, enjoying an adult bevvie and soaking up the sun while you make plans with what to do with your yard.  On my list: reattach hose, kill wasps nests, mow, get the sprinkler system back on-line, clear out the errant wandering jew, feed the fig tree.
My mother had a plan for the rugs she collected from her travels.  She made fabric tags and embroidered our names on them, then carefully stitched the labels onto the rugs she wanted each of us to get.  My memory fails me, so I'm not sure exactly when and where she got the two with my name on them.  The one above is wool - from Afghanistan, I think.  Fits perfectly in the den.
This one is silk and called "Tree of Life" - I placed it in the front room.  While I was at it, I added an antique table with a faux plant, a new large pillow for the couch, a small lamp, and a new lampshade for the floor lamp.  
This antique table was at my mother's bedside, and I remember it from our home in Galveston, as well.
I integrated what I brought from her home that I thought would mesh with mine, and I added a couple of new pieces that express my own taste.  I ended up bringing home far less than my sisters did - but the things I did bring into my home have meaning to me.

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

While I was walking through my mother's house, I would pick up an object and hold it for a minute or two, thinking about it and what memories it might hold for either she or me.  One of the items was this vintage ceramic planter.  I had a cutting at home just waiting for a new home.  It made me smile to add it to my office window sill and enjoy as a beautiful thing that is also useful.
My love for quesadillas continues.  Its like a sammie 2.0.  We currently have three packages of tortillas in the fridge because we keep forgetting we already have them, then buy more - a delicious state of affairs.


Gina

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure of your brand, but HEB tortillas freeze and reheat very well. We also have a tortilla buying problem....we forget that we already have a few packages in the freezer and buy more.

Wendy in HTX

Joanne said...

Those are some lovely items from your mom to incorporate into your home.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I love that your mother collected rugs when she traveled. I never thought to do that most probably because it would weigh me down and be a lot to lug through the airport along with all of the other odd bits that I used to collect. A didgeridoo comes immediately to mind. I think that is probably what got us bumped up the first class on our trip back from London one year. What fun to find personalized tags on the bottoms of the rugs so you knew which one would go to you. I think they look great.

Kim said...

I love how you chose which treasures to keep from your mom's home. So smart. We took everything and I don't think that was wise. Most items remained boxed up for far too long and having it in our house made it much harder to give away later on. Love the planter and your antique table. So charming!