Friday, December 22, 2023

Christmas 2023

 This year I did several things differently than in the past:  I decorated the tree, with Scout's help, on Thanksgiving afternoon.  Had 99% of my shopping done that weekend.  Set a much lower budget (compared to years past) and stayed well within it.  Planned a simpler meal with a defined invite time.  Made plans for myself.  Didn't send Christmas cards out.  Didn't gift my kids a sentimental "Dad" gift (like the pocketknives from last year, the Santa hats, the photo mugs...).
Christmas looks so different this year - uncluttered of expectation and obligation.

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and put presents under the tree.  It looks far emptier than last year but I think it is reasonable and fitting for where we're all at in our lives.  The large tote bags each hold a beautiful sweater for each of them. {I think I will follow the "signature gift" idea for next year, too}
The books I collected for each person got a burlap ribbon and homemade bookmark tied on, then got hidden behind the tree.  Each stack includes a sentimental book for Christmas and a calendar for the year, along with books I thought each person would like.
The fudge, though simple, turned out very well, and each person got two full quart size ziplocs of two different flavors.  The stockings got filled (one for me, too!) and are ready to place under the tree.  Christmas lunch is a two hour affair for anyone who wants to come.  We will sing Happy Birthday to Bubbie and have cake for dessert.  And I am hopeful its at least cool enough for a firepit with a glass of wine that afternoon. 
******
The weekend will zoom by fast.  Just as the years have.
I'm not sad that December 2023 is almost over, and I am looking forward to next year and am hopeful it will bring happiness and peace to my family.  And yours!
Merry Christmas,



Gina 

4 comments:

Joanne said...

That all sounds perfect. I really simplified our holidays this year too and loved that it felt very easy; and now that the boys are so much older they really don't care at all and seemed to love it too!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Wow! I am impressed! I think you did everything just perfectly. The stack of books with the burlap ribbon really sends me. I would love it if somebody would give me something like that. You put so much thought and love into this. I hope you get as much back. Merry Christmas, Gina!

Anonymous said...

I love your decorations and scaled down Christmas ideas. Doing the same myself. Trying to place more focus on what Christmas is really about and get away from the Santa thing. But I’ll always love the Christmas tree, music, decorations, festivities. But you won’t find a single Santa or elves in my decorations. Did away with him and the Easter bunny years ago. Blessings to you and yours at Christmas and always. Love, sis Karen

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Gina,
WOW!! I think you have Christmas under control there...Good for you...
I give money and gift cards which make it easy to stay within budget...I do buy gifts for a few friends though...I also gift my kids cookies and fudge...However as we are waiting for the birth of our twin grand daughters, I know next Christmas will be totally different....Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Merry Christmas!!
Hugs,
Deb