Friday, December 8, 2023

5 thing Friday - quiche, Thanksgiving, soup, candy dish, Christmas-ing

I got a wild hair and decided to make a quiche for work as part of our Thanksgiving potluck.  Since the crust package came with two, I made one for home as well
It turned out great, even though this time I used no chorizo.  Go here for the recipe.  I should make this more often!
The dessert "station" in my kitchen for Thanksgiving - no pie in sight! 

I worked 6 hours on Thanksgiving Day, which boosted my paycheck a little and it was an easy morning.  But next year, I know I will do things very differently.
Long story short: we just did not connect as a family.  I'm not sure what all is at play here, but probably several things.  I am one adult out of five.  Not just a mom - a person.  And it isn't fair for me to have to swallow down my grief and sadness in order to "make the holidays" for everyone else.  You'd think I would have learned something on New Year's Day and Easter.  Takes me a minute.
"Day after Turkey" soup was enjoyed.  This version had tiny star pasta with loads of peas and carrots.  I still have a turkey backbone to simmer into stock, but I will wait until I have enough veggie scraps to really flavor it.  I see lots of soup ahead!
This Fitz and Floyd candy dish was a freebie from my Facebook Buy Nothing group.  I looked it up on Ebay, just for funsies, and its actually a well sought-after item!  Mine is staying put on the counter, with the leftover birthday candy from The Girl.
The un-china cabinet full of Christmas-y things makes me smile every time I pass by.  I kept the small doilies because I love the vintage vibe they bring.  The little pinecone trees were made by my kids, the books are from a basket of them I used to put out each December, the 50's mistletoe bell plays "Jingle Bells", the silver Santa with candy canes was a gift from my late MIL when Firstborn was very small, the embroidered tree in a hoop was made by The Girl, and the House of Hattan angel is from 1993.  
When I came home one Christmas from college, my mother had sewn me a new stocking and loaded it up with goodies. (she also did Easter baskets for me well into adulthood!)  I have held on to it all these years, and this year I filled it with some quilt batting, slip-stitched the top closed, and made it into a little pillow.  It looks a little wonky in this photo, but its cute with the Santa pillow and a new one I ordered from Kirkland's.
For the most part, I used what I already had from the Big Christmas Purge of summer and Scout helped me decorate the tree on Thanksgiving evening.  This year I added in ONE ornament each that the kids made me while they were in grade school.  The rest are ornaments I had from over the years.  Most of them bring very happy memories.  But I am mindful that it is time to create new memories.  What a concept!  You could say that this holiday season has brought something of an epiphany for me.


Gina

5 comments:

Bobi said...

I love your decorations. So very different from mine but very pretty and all your stories/memories were fun to read. Most of our decorations have stories too.

Joni said...

Your Christmas decorations are beautiful. I purged holiday decorations a few years ago. My husband loved every nook and cranny filled and lit up. Gag. I did it for him and it was 30 years of stuff to go through. I now have a puppy and a Christmas tree anchored 4 ways with non breakable ornaments.
I just want to send you a hug over the angst of the Thanksgiving holiday. If I lived close to you, I would send you to a spa and have a sit down with the kids and explain they are adults and should show a little love and effort of their own. When my daughter turned 18, she received all of her Christmas ornaments, she could leave them here or take them with. After college, she took them and a few other favorite decorations. When she was 16 she started contributing to family meals and birthdays. Proud mama!

Joanne said...

Your quiche looks yummy! I make quiche quite often but tend to be the only one in the house that really eats it. I love that idea of turning your old stocking into a pillow. I have a few old ones I can't bear to part with but feel bad that they mostly just stay in our totes year after year because I don't really know what to do with them.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am a fan of Fitz and Floyd, so I am totally crushing on your candy dish. I completely understand the way you feel. I am seven years out of my husband‘s passing (7 1/2 actually), and four years from my dad‘s. Things are only getting worse for me. I am more depressed this Christmas than I have ever been in my entire life. I’m thinking about not even decorating. That’s how bad it is. I try to avoid people because, as you know, no one can understand your grief, but you.

Lynda W said...

Your tree & decorations are simple & beautiful. Its going to be hurtful while your family struggles to find a new normal. Communication is the solution for me going thru a tough time. Merry Christmas... The best you can!