Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Frugal Friday meal prep

 I haven't posted on a Wednesday for a loooong time.
But please enjoy this photo of all of the things that I pulled out of the fridge in advance of picking up my curbside order...
I can't do food waste.  I just can't.  I think its something my mother ingrained in me from an early age - she was so frugal.  {disclaimer: I am not saving those two bowls of pumpkin dump cake. Yuck.} So on Fridays, I pull out all of the things and see what I can make with them to feed myself over the weekend aka my "kitchen closed" days.
Here's what I ended up setting aside for my work meals:
*hummus and the rest of the pita chips
*a small container of applesauce that I will add a scoop of cottage cheese to
*three mandarins, almost past their prime, sectioned, in a snack cup
*almond butter on a protein English muffin
*Turkey stirred into the rest of some mini bowtie Pasta with gravy
*the rest of a chopped salad, a few Fritos, and a can of tuna
For dinner, I combined rice, leftover salsas, some freezer corn, and taco meat with black beans, which I will serve with the rest of those corn chalupas.  Then I topped it with the rest of the cheddar, grated.  And I added a pint of vanilla bean ice cream to my cart, which I will stir chopped Thanksgiving cookies and brownies into. Friday = dessert night.
Everything got wiped down, the trash got emptied, the dishwasher is running, and I have the rest of the day to sew and read.  Not bad for a Frugal Friday!


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I feel the same way that you do about food waste. Sometimes something will get away from me, and I will find it green and hairy in the back of the fridge. Other than that, like you, I try to come up with clever way to use little bits of things. I find a crustless quiche is often the answer. It is easy, and you can throw all kinds of things in one of those.