Friday, September 1, 2023

5 thing Friday - mom's house, beer, good advice, fresh spaces for Fall, teeth

 I've been bringing home sacks of things from Mom's house to attend to.  Some of it is bills, some is laundry, some is things to be shredded, some items I want to protect from burglary.
I'm taking my responsibilities to my mom pretty seriously.  In everything, I am guided by the thought of "what would I want done for me?".  Do I know 100% what I am doing?  No.
I brought the blue and white tote bag home this week, intending to wash it and use it for files as I am traveling about.  There are many things for me to attend to.  Always I take an empty laundry basket with me to corral items.
One of the neighbors sniffed that the chicken and garden lot was "overgrown".  A few bean vines might be overgrown along the fence, but the grass itself was mowed by my niece and hubby and it looks like they picked up trash, too.  Still, the neighbor paying attention is not a bad thing.  
I feel a little horrified running my hands through my mother's things, invading her privacy.  But there is not a lot of organization that makes sense to me, and I have to locate files and paperwork without her there to guide me.  I would like to think she would forgive me for that - my intentions are very above-board.  Still, its hard, knowing that she is a person who deserves dignity, respect, and my best detective skills.  How to balance it all?  Very tricky.
While I was waiting on the bank to call me about an appointment related to handling her affairs, I stopped at a local brewery with my basket of things to sort.  People come to breweries during the day to have a beer while they work on their laptops.  I need a job like that!
Or maybe I just need to work at a brewery.  I think I would like it.
I feel like haven't had a lot of time to just relax at home lately. But I did freshen up some spaces yesterday.  Things got dusted, swept, 
...sheets washed, comforter switched out, rooms vacuumed, floors mopped.  My home is still 100% the greatest source of sanctuary and comfort for me.  If I only get to reconnect with it sparingly during the week, it can at least be clean and smell nice.
An overdue teeth cleaning yesterday and a plan to spend some time freshening up myself, as well. Happy September.  I, for one, am glad August is over.


Gina

3 comments:

Kim said...

Your room looks lovely, it's so warm and charming.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who retired to the Austin area and now works part-time at a winery (I think she started as a volunteer). So yeah - I think either working part-time or volunteering at a brewery would be awesome (I am a beer drinker....not a wine drinker).

-WS in HTX

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am very impressed with all that you are doing for your mom. I know it’s not easy, I know it feels invasive, but you are getting the job done and keeping things going, and I think there has to be a special place in heaven for people who do that.