Friday, September 22, 2023

5 thing Friday - Fall (or the lack thereof), yards, Frosty, tires, Mom

 The weather here has only eased up the teensiest bit.  Seems like everyone else is like "yay! cooler days!  I'm so happy its Fall!"  Its definitely not Fall here, but the 100 degree temp days are more like 92, so...yay?
In protest of the heat I have placed some apple cinnamon pinecones in an otherwise empty basket in the den.  {goodbye, National Geographic magazine collection}
And to the hanging basket on the front door, I added some Fall-ish sprays. The glass eye pendant is not doing it's job of warding off evil spirits, but I like it, so it stays.
Yesterday I spent two hours mowing, edging, raking, blowing, and etc.  I had not tended to the yards in weeks.  That's what a drought does - makes mowing so much easier.  Today a tree company is coming to do some pruning that the homeowners insurance company is requiring.  This has been a pricey week.
My honest assessment of the pumpkin spice Frosty is that it has a fake nutty pumpkin flavor, a little heavy on the spice, and verrrry sweet.  Did I finish it, though?  Yes I did.  It was my reward for getting the oil changed on my car - a job that's been on my to do list for weeks.
In the "it doesn't take whiskers" category - I fished the air compressor out of the storage bin in the back of my car (thank you to my mother), aired up a completely flat tire, then drove over to Discount Tires for new tires.  Did I mention its been an expensive week?
I am doing my level best to help my sister with my mom and I know I am failing.  I keep repeating to myself: you cannot move mom to your house, you did not create this situation, and you are doing what you can to help.  I am already managing her money and setting things in motion to get some income generated to help her and I have spent hours on the phone with the long term care insurance company, the banks, the financial advisor, and her neighbors.  I have driven to Brenham twice to check on her house and arrange her mail being re-routed, taking out her rotten food and full trashcans, as well as scrubbing her potty and setting off a bug bomb since the roaches seem to be taking over.  I regularly visit her at my sister's house, helping to feed her, taking home laundry to ease the burden.
Life hasn't been real fun lately.
I will be so glad when this year is over.


Gina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know the full situation, but I do know that all the things you are doing helps your sister and your Mother. Do what you can and be honest about what you can not do. I hope a long-term solution that works for your Mother and sisters presents itself. Debbie in the RGV

Joni said...

When I planted my pain in the field of patience,
it bore the fruit of happiness. ~Kahlil Gibran

You're doing an awesome job getting all the important things done. So much on your plate and you have managed to help with your mom, take care of important things at home and manage a career. Amazing!
Having been there w/my Grandma, I know with time you will reflect on this storm and say "how on earth did we do it all?"
I am watching a similar situation play out with a friend and she has no help with her 4 siblings. The one sibling who lived in the same town, actually moved 2 states away when the parents began needing more help.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Wow! You have been a busy girl this week. I think all the work that you did on the yard was probably good. Physical work is a nice way to offset all the stress that you are currently under. I have now lost both of my parents as well as my husband, so I have been through everything that you’re talking about. It’s a difficult position to be in. I’ll keep you in my thoughts.

Kim said...

We had to confront all of this with my mom and it wasn't easy. All I can say is be kind to yourself, you're doing the best you can. It's overwhelming and demanding, physically and emotionally. Thinking of you...and loving your protest pinecones! That made me laugh!

Karen Cook said...

Precious Gina, YOU HAVE NOT FAILED! With all you do for others, never think that, even for a minute. All you do puts the rest of us to shame. Praying for you.