Friday, August 25, 2023

California Coleslaw

I love coleslaw - like, love it.  I actually prefer it over potato salad, and I know that is not a very southern thing to own up to.  But I came across a recipe that was vinegar dressing based instead of mayo, and that sounds perfect to me with all of these 100 plus degree days. 
I tweaked the recipe I found:

California Coleslaw
1 small bag pre-shredded cabbage (the kind with both purple and green cabbage)
1/2 small purple onion, thinly sliced
1 red or green bell pepper, cut into thin strips (or, 1/2 of each color)
1 small carrot, grated
1/2 c. cider vinegar
3 T sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. blk pepper
1/2 c. light olive oil
Place all the veggies in a big bowl. Whisk everything else and pour over the veggies; toss well.  Refrigerate several hours.

It made a smallish bowl of coleslaw, but it last me several days as the boys were pretty picky about it.  As for me, I love the sweet and sour crunch of it and it was fantastic alongside a pulled pork sammie!


Gina

2 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I have been CRAVING cole slaw! This looks delicious. I am making carrot salad today, substituting chopped apricots for the raisins. We'll, see how that goes.

Lynda W said...

Boy that coleslaw looks good! Unfortunately I am taking blood thinner and cabbage is to b avoided as it is full of vitamin K, which is a natural blood thinner.