Friday, December 30, 2022

5 thing Friday - Christmas, friends, Gus, firepit, plants

This was the most unusual Christmas I have had as a mom by far.  For lots of reasons.
But it was important for me to continue the traditions of stockings, and waiting until Christmas Eve to place gifts under the tree.  And truthfully, it was a beautiful Christmas.
It wasn't fancy.  But it felt cozy and warm and safe.
It made me laugh at myself to realize I fixed THE EXACT SAME MEAL for us last year as I did this year.  It was delish.
But it felt special to me, and I hope it did for my peeps, too - Firstborn, The Girl, Scout, Dutch, and Bubbie.  The 5 most important people in my life.
Sometimes I run dry of f****, as I'm sure most people do...  And I have a work bestie who helps me laugh and is worth her weight in gold.  She likes irreverent humor as much as I do. I have a couple of friends like that - they keep it real and I am glad I have them around.
On a recent visit to my mother's house, I could not help but notice Gus's decline.  He is basically blind, very hard of hearing, and has arthritis issues with his hips.  I fear he is not long for this life and I know it will cause my mother pain, and I don't know quite how I will help her with it, but I will.  She has had Gus longer than she had Jim.
The Girl found me a bag of pinion pine which makes for a very cute and aromatic firepit whenever I am in the mood for a small fire, a glass of wine, and an hour or so in solitude on my patio.
Dutch made me this art which I promptly hung in The Lounge aka my office and I love it.  Homemade gifts are the bomb diggity!  I also got some handmade potholders from The Girl - I love those kinds of gifts.
I just about killed myself getting my plants into the garage and window seat last week, and now its 73 degrees again!  I need to find a better place to keep the ficus and the olive tree so that I'm not hauling them around the side of the house with my bum knee in the dark while the wind blows around me.
Zero out of 10, do not want to do that again.
******
Happy New Year!  I will be on my third dream by midnight on NYE...


Gina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your table was beautiful. It is a wonderful talent that blesses others and makes the meal more special. I just can’t seem to make myself go to the trouble.

Debbie your southern neighbor in the RGV