Friday, December 23, 2022

5 thing Friday - Daily Bread, knee woes, tweaking, gifting myself, time off

Not gonna lie, its been a rough couple of weeks and I absolutely did not want that to be the case for Christmas and I am working hard to turn this ship around. 
One of my sisters sent me the small rectangular box you see in the above photo.  It's called Daily Bread, and has scriptures on each side of a slip of paper.  It fits here neatly and I pull one or two out every time I drive the truck.  A little bright spot in my day.
My left knee has been a source of pain for years, but just after Mark died {what with all the cleaning, and purging, and organizing, and ladder-standing} it finally gave in to arthritis with a massive flare up.  Much swelling, pain, stiffness, and two lost days at work led me to my ortho doc who gave me a shot of steroid into the joint and as of this writing, it feels like a new knee.
Second best Christmas gift ever.
For someone who is taking her tree down in a couple of weeks, I sure have tweaked it a bunch.  I pulled out many ornaments I hadn't used in years - not sure why that was.  Some of my favorites like the red metal angels from Wal-Mart, the large glass pinecones from the gift shop at Brackenridge Hospital, and the House of Hattan Doves and Hearts from 1992.  So many memories!
I might go back to two trees next year - sitting quietly looking at this one has been calming.  I loved the idea of the kids' tree, and so did my peeps.
Well, I went ahead and bought myself a couple of Christmas gifts, including this anti-gravity lounge chair (which I plan to spend many hours relaxing in)...
...and these super-ugly-and-I-don't-care men's camo houseshoes to wear out at the firepit.  I may also have ordered myself some facial serum, hair and nail vitamins, cologne spray, underwear, and a phone case. Sort of a combo of late birthday and early Christmas.  January will definitely be a no spend month!
I am looking forward to several days off next week.  Crying, laying on your back with your knee elevated does not count as productive or restful time off.  I will:
*visit my mother
*work on the blog
*craft, sew, and read
*go to Highlands
*chat with Bubbie about college
*get ready for the new year
*****
If you read my little blog, and leave me notes of encouragement, thank you.  What started as a way for me to journal about my family became a space for me to share my ups and downs and really process the changes my life has been through.
Merry Christmas to you,


Gina

4 comments:

Nethergreen said...

Christmas blessings to you and your family. I hope it is as happy as it can be. Frances in Ballarat, Australia

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your ups and down. Hang in the and take care.
Cee

Kim said...

Merry Christmas, Gina. I hope your knee is feeling much better and you have a relaxing holiday weekend filled with visits with family and more time in those comfy camo slippers!!

Karen Whitworth Cook said...

Glad you’re using the Daily Bread scripture box. Sorry about your knee. I suffered with Rheumatoid arthritis for a while. The first two years I took Remicade infusions every 8 weeks and Methotrexate pills. Was finally able to eliminate the infusions. Now the Methotrexate pills are all I need. Haven’t had a flare up of the RA for over 6 or 7 years now. I have full usage of my fingers etc. with no signs of arthritis! Whoo hoo!