Friday, December 9, 2022

5 thing Friday - car woes, Christmas lights, soup, falling leaves, winter

A mix of the good and the not-so-good here. 
Waiting in the drizzle at 645 a.m. for the Subaru dealership to open {on my birthday} because my check engine light came on and the oil change place said Subaru should decypher the code.  Reminder to self: do not go to the dealership service department for any reason.  $200 and 8 hours later they had a laundry list of close to 8K and nothing resolved with the car.
The saga will continue, I'm sure.
A saga of a different sort: outside Christmas lights.  A learning curve for me, as Mark was always the one who took care of this.  As of this post, my lights are not 100% working, the timer is unreliable, and I had to order bulbs from Amazon because I could not find them at Walgreen's or HEB.
Saturday evening I sat on the patio at my firepit and could see the glow of Christmas lights out front - 'twas nice.  But it didn't last, as the fuses in one string blew.  I'm doing all of this 100% differently next year.  Frustration will not be a part of it.
This pot of lentil soup may not look amazing, but it was!  I had cooked lentils in the freezer and used turkey stock, a couple of potatoes that were about to be wrinkly, and couple of carrots, and some onion and garlic cooked with three slices of bacon until browned.  A handful of kale was added, and I served it with garlic cheese toast made with the leftover buns from pulled pork on Thanksgiving weekend.
The view from our breakroom at work includes a green space with a maple tree that is lit up this time of year.  Its starting to lose it leaves, though, which means winter can't be far away.
I'm not a fan of the time change and winter, in general.  Not enough sun, for one thing.  And by the time I get home its so dark that bedtime just naturally comes earlier for me.  Which isn't terrible as work has been stressful and I need the sleep.  I'm looking forward to sunnier days ahead...
Happy Weekend,


Gina


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope you can figure out what’s wrong with your car. When it’s under warranty, the dealership will take a let’s wait and see approach, but when it’s not, my experience is that they love to throw expensive parts at the car, at our expense of course. Very few things are scarier than the Check Engine light!
Susan