Friday, December 17, 2021

5 thing Friday - cross stitch, bedroom Christmas trees, stained glass, wine pick-ups, guest room

As of this post, I made a whopping two handmade gifts this year.  That doesn't mean I wasn't creative  {I did a fun thing which I will not be able to share here just yet}, but I am giving myself a pass on it this year and will, on advice of a wise blogger friend, work on it during the summer next year.
I started this cross stitch before Hubby passed, then finished it just afterwards.  It was calming to sit and stitch with The Girl.  She stained a hoop for me, and I plan to give it to my sister Maggie, who has been a blessing to me.
My first attempt at "finishing" the back.  I need to fine tune it in future, but it worked.
I never did buy a Christmas tree for the bedroom - just ran out of time and didn't want to spend a lot.  I will keep my eyes out for a skinny tree next year, maybe from a thrift store.  Meanwhile, I made a little vignette with table trees and added a battery candle by way of a nightlite.  I am getting used to falling asleep in an empty house and this helps!
My mother is determined that I have a stained glass window for my house.  I have nowhere to put it, but maybe I could get a small one to hang somewhere.  I do have that transom window in the living room, and this place in Bertram has fused glass classes.  Wouldn't it be cool to make my own?
Going to a winery alone for a pick up party is both good and bad.  Bad:  you are essentially ALONE and must make an effort to introduce yourself to others who are often couples or people in groups.  Good:  come and go whenever you want, sit where you want, listen to music, enjoy wine and a lunch, and just be yourself.  I just need to invite my kids to come along more often.
There's no big reveal for the guest room, but I will say it is clean and smells nice and is ready for whenever The Girl wants to stay the night.  I ordered new sheets and a dust ruffle, moved the directors chair in here (at the end of the bed), dusted the heck out of those shelves and the ceiling fan,  steam cleaned the carpets, added a nightlite and different lamp.  
I've been leaving the empty bedroom doors open so they don't start smelling stale. It feels good for me to nest.


Gina

No comments: