Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Laundry and storage

I love seeing what other bloggers do to spruce up their laundry rooms.  They take basic builder grade and bring it to a whole other level.  While I would love to do the same, I am severely limited by size.  Plus, we don't have mud rooms in Central Texas, just laundry rooms, so there's little space in here for anything other than the actual appliances.
So when I get inspired, I just clean the heck out of mine and rearrange things.  I found that I could move the big box of seasonal decor to my closet where the Christmas stuff already was.  Then I could spread out that big stuff on the top shelf.  I added a tension rod near the washer to hang an extra folding hamper and for additional hanging space if I need it.
The stuff hanging on the walls behind the appliances are just pretties I have had for years.  I'm not remotely tempted to paint in here again, nor make any framed signs that state the obvious (like "LAUNDRY")  That small rug helps keep the top of the dryer from getting scratched by the laundry basket I keep in here.  The box you see on the dryer is a surge protector, which I could probably also move to behind the dryer...
Mostly there are thrift store items (I love that sweet needlepoint and the wooden heart bowl)
with some pretty plates and applique art my mother made.*
Plus, all of the magnets with my kids' artwork from elementary school.
Is it a fancy laundry room?  No.  In fact, its really just a laundry "nook". But it did serve a family of six fairly well, and with some vacuuming and straightening of the shelves, it is once again ready for use.  My next house may have a "real" laundry room but this one is pretty convenient.


Gina


*It states: "When I am dead and in my grave and all my bones are rotten, when this you see, remember me, lest I shall be forgotten".  It was in the hall for the longest time and the kids thought it was creepy, so I just moved it into here where mostly I am the person who sees it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pardon me while I go put a small rug on top of my dryer (how did that never occur to me before??)... : )

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Your laundry room looks wonderful! Like you, my laundry room is totally utilitarian, with just room for a washer, dryer, and a freezer. I could have extra space if I moved that freezer into the garage, but what an annoyance that would be. Clearly, I need cabinets or shelving because all of my cleaning products are piled on top of the freezer; my laundry basket is on top of the dryer. It’s also full of various vacuum cleaners, a floor cleaner, a cordless vac, etc. where do people put things like this?