Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Easy Shakshuka for one

 This was an easy and comforting dish last week, the idea for which I got from Bubbie who is becoming quite the cook in college.  I modified the recipe he sent me, because The Girl had already told me that Indian or Arabic food (or anything similar) was a no go for her.  So I picked a night she would be out and assembled my ingredients as I sipped my wine!
Easy Shakshuka
1 c. diced fresh tomato
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, shopped
1 T. olive oil
2 eggs
1/4 t. salt, black pepper to taste
1/4 t. red pepper (I used much less)
1/2 t. Arabic style seasoning OR 1/4 t. paprika, 1/4 t. coriander, scant 1/4 t. cumin
garnish with fresh parsley (optional)
This is the seasoning I had on hand and it subbed nicely for the separate spices.  {It has the three afore-mentioned, plus cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, red pepper, turmeric, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and allspice.  
It is fabulous on chicken, too!}
Saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil for a few minutes.
Add in the fresh chopped tomatoes and spices and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, covered.  Drink your wine.
Crack two eggs into the skillet and cook on low, covered, for 2 minutes.  This gently poaches the egg.  So if you want your yolks runny, watch them carefully.  Mine were soft, not runny.
Plate it up and serve with garlic toast, or toasted French bread.  You will want all of that tomato sauce!  In fact, I think the sauce would be great on tilapia, too.
This makes a great supper for one!


Gina 

No comments: