Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Like she lost 5 pounds and took a vitamin

I visited my mother recently, and since the ice storm had wrecked our plans in February, we made up for it with a whirlwind of errands and things to do.  She finally sold the truck (praise!) so she won't be driving any time soon.  We made plans to go by the post office and bank, get tomato plants at the garden store, drop off paperwork to the tax prep folks,  pick up groceries, eat a quick lunch, go see the eye doc...
...and she also wanted to get a haircut.  She hasn't been to get her hair cut anywhere since the pandemic started.  The lady who was cutting it before then retired.  I tried cutting it for her twice, but I am not proficient at ladies' haircuts.  Besides, wasn't it kind of pretty this long?
But she needs something easier to maintain, so I found a lady in Brenham who seemed very reasonable and friendly on the phone and has a shop just five minutes from Mother's house, and I made the appointment.
She didn't want me taking too many "before" shots - my mother is fairly self-conscious about that kind of thing.
"You're making fun of me" she said.  
The lady who cut her hair owns her own small shop and has been cutting hair for 20 plus years.  She was so kind and such a good listener.  My mother spilled the tea on so many things - from her last two husbands to her new great-grandchild's name.  It seemed like no subject was off limits.  The lady patiently and carefully cut her hair, listening and adding sweet conversation.  It was an amazing half hour of ladies chatting together.
She was tickled with her haircut. 
{I remember a long time ago she told me that getting a haircut made her feel like she "lost 5 pounds and took a vitamin".  So funny!} 
By the time I left that afternoon, she was pretty tired from all our goings and doings.  And I realized something:  the day had been about more than just errands and a haircut for my mother.  It was about seeing other people in her community, getting some things accomplished, and allowing herself a little self-care.  It was about having someone to talk to in person.  And feeling connected.  It was the best birthday gift I could give her.  
And I'll plan on taking her again. 


Gina 

1 comment:

evelynthayer said...

That was a very sweet story. Having your Mom still is a very precious gift.