Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Daily routine - Pandemic version

I made a schedule up for myself so that I am never bored or at loose ends on weekday mornings and I get some things DONE.  I am a list person by nature.  It makes me feel like I am in charge of my life.  {HA!, actually less so nowadays it seems!}
Mondays - laundry, blog, order produce box
Tuesday - water my plants, take trash and/or recycle bins to curb
Wednesday - change sheets, vac house
Thursday - clean bathrooms, sweep floors, run load of towels
Friday - pay bills
Saturday morning - grocery shop

I am up between 6:30 and 7 a.m. - its just when I naturally wake up and I rarely set an alarm.  While a pot of coffee is perking I set out all of the things I need to prep for meals.  This day I was making enchilada sauce with some sad looking carrots, bagging up grapes for my lunch, and marinating a split chicken breast in some Italian dressing.  Chard was rinsed and draining in the sink.  
 I drink my coffee and check my email and such until Hubby claims the office - usually around 8:30.  I get a few things done around the house, but I'm not aiming for doing a lot of housework.  {Might empty the dryer, start a load of clothes, roll the trash bins out to the curb, make out a grocery list, etc.}  Then I go back to the kitchen and prep dinner.  Tonight we are having sauteed chard with garlic, and some grilled chicken.
Its easier for me to get dinner arranged in the mornings.  We can either heat the plates of food up, or I can leave Hubby with reheating instructions.
 Its nice to come home to dinner all prepared!
  Today I also have enchilada sauce bubbling - I think we will enjoy this next week!
 While everything cooks I make up some oatmeal to microwave.  I usually add dried fruit, nuts, honey, and water.  Today it was 3 small fresh apricots, a handful of walnuts, and a spoonful of lemon curd with 1/2 cup of whole oats.  I set that aside and get ready to plate up the food.
I cover them with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, then load the dishwasher and set it to delay start so it goes off after showers and such.
 After using my immersion blender on the sauce, into jars it goes and is cooling while I finish clean up.  One of the best things to come home to after a long day is a clean kitchen!  Hubby will unload the dishwasher later.
 Sometimes I tell the Google Lady to play smooth jazz and I light a candle under the wax tart burner.  After food prep its nice to have calm and pretty.  My kitchen might need some updating, but I love it.
Everything gets wiped down. I clean that cast iron grill pan with hot water and a brush, then store it upside down on the warm burners.
 Time to pop the oatmeal in - 3 minutes 40 seconds.  When I get back to it, it will have cooled.  I usually time breakfast for right before I leave the house - that way I can make it until lunch!
But its pushing 9, and that's when I go on a short walk in my neighborhood.  LOTS of my neighbors are out walking at this time.  I just put on my walking shoes and go.  I don't dislike it, but its not my favorite thing.  Its strictly for health benefits!
 I get back and see this...
 ...which takes me just a few minutes to fix!  That's another nice thing to come home to at the end of the day. 
I pull my oatmeal out of the microwave, give it a stir, then a splash of half and half and a drizzle of honey.  If I'm lucky, I have a few minutes left to tie up loose ends, like putting together a lunch for work. 
 I pack my kit full since its small.  Usually I have leftovers, but today its a sammie and chips with fruit.  If I'm lucky, I will get to eat around 2 p.m.  I will be hungry for dinner at 8 p.m.!
 I set all my stuff for work out at the kitchen table, eat my oatmeal, then go get a shower at 10 a.m.  If I leave the house at 10:30, I get to work in plenty of time to clock in at 11 a.m.  A full day ensues and lately, we've been a tad bit busier.  I don't mind being busy - its the slow days that drag you down.
Once I get home, I shower (again), eat, load my plate into the dishwasher, chat with Hubby a bit, tie up any loose ends, thaw out something for dinner tomorrow, then hit the hay with a book.  Lights out by 10:30 p.m.  Since I added walking to my day I noticed I sleep like a rock!  And that's the daily routine for me these days.  Do you have any routines you use to feel sane in these crazy times?


Gina

No comments: