Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Weekend re-cap: trailer food, pasta sauce, Dahlia Cafe, Fiesta Winery

As weekends go, it was pretty sweet.  I started the day off by stimulating the economy of the food truck not too far from our house.  As I collected my breakfast tacos, a line had formed - that's always a good sign!
I even got a few things done around the house before we left for Highlands, including making my own blender pasta sauce with some tomatoes that were going wrinkly:
I label them with scotch tape that is easily pulled off - I know that a couple of months from now I will be glad I labeled them even though they are clear jars!  Into the freezer they go for future pasta nights at Highlands and Camp Rustown.
 For lunch, we enjoyed some shady seating at Dahlia Cafe, just up the road in Liberty Hill.
Back before the world went haywire, this was a favorite place of ours - good food, live music, big oak trees...
 ...and I enjoyed this Philly Cheese sammie topped with green chile queso and served with homemade kettle chips.
 I was proud of Hubby for his sammie and salad combo.  Both of us ate every bite and drank a big glass of sweet ice tea.  Summer lunch for the win!
 Just look at all that space to stay socially distant while enjoying some great food!  From here, we went directly to Lometa to visit Fiesta Winery on a non-wine club pick-up day.
 There were very few people and the weather could not have been better.  Cool breezes were blowing and we sat and sipped our chilled wine while looking out over the vineyard.
 Isn't this little vignette cute under a small stand of oaks?  I think I could easily do this at Highlands - maybe I would skip the carpet!  
This winery has cute landscaping and decor outside.  The area where our chairs sat had pea gravel, larger rocks for a border, and these cute red glazed pots with metal garden spheres.  I strolled through the vines a little, but it is far warmer out in the sun.  Our chairs faced out towards a view with no other folks and was so pleasant.
 Hubby bought this bag that you freeze and stick your wine bottle in.  It lasts for exactly one bottle of wine, but I'm sure we will be freezing and using it all summer long.  We headed towards Highlands in the late afternoon and enjoyed some of that fresh pasta sauce on whole wheat pasta with steamed broccoli by the firepit.  A fun Saturday!
The next day we did NOTHING.  The morning started off with a pretty intense thunderstorm, so we spent the next few hours literally laying around in our chairs, watching wildlife and snoozing.  {we have a mama deer and fawn that are fun to watch!}  I ordered us a pizza for a late lunch and we enjoyed a chilled Picpoul Blanc from Perisso's to go with.  Delightful, but it was getting to be very hot, even in the shade.
We timed our departure a little late as we ran into THIS on the way into Austin!  It was a little dicey driving right through it on the toll road, but we arrived home safely and enjoyed our dinner of leftovers.  And this week it isn't likely that we will be at Highlands, since a couple of our peeps will be home and we are thinking of grilling hot dogs on Saturday.  Can you believe July is here already?


Gina

1 comment:

Beyda'nın Kitaplığı said...

Bende kışlıkların üstüne yazıyorum.