Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Weekend re-cap: home, 600 Degrees Pizzeria, Wedding Oak, Highlands, home again

On-call weekends are generally not exciting, and this one was no exception.  However, I did get someone to take my Sunday, so it was only halfway a bummer!
I had a long list of things to do around the house, trying to stay busy until 7 p.m.  So I started out by making my new favorite egg breakfast - peppers and eggs.  I saw this on a Cooking with Clara YouTube video.  She says they grew up poor, but they always had a garden and some chickens so they ate well.  Half of a pepper makes one egg go a long way and I get the added benefit of a serving of veggie.
 I finally took down all of the pinecones and winter decor and pulled out my bunnies and some fake ivy I bought last time I went thrifting.  I don't care is fake greenery is dated, I like it!  That one bush of ivy found its way around the house, including in my spring wreath for the front door:
I just keep recycling wreaths, changing them up a little bit and using what I already have.  Maybe I will give this one a bow.  I also spent time doing some baking, which I almost never have time for nowadays.  Plus, sweet treats don't really have a place in my new healthy eating plan.
 But I made an exception for Saturday:  Walnut Raisin Pie for dessert this weekend, Pumpkin Pecan Muffins to freeze and enjoy two at a time, and White Chocolate Peppermint cookie dough for when The Girl visits.  Bonus:  the house smelled delightful.  
 For dinner on Saturday night, we went to Georgetown and ate at 600 Degrees Pizzeria.
We sat outside at a table for two and enjoyed some beer while we waited for the pizza.  It was nippy outside, but loud and crowded inside, so we enjoyed the beer and convo.
 Our pizza did not disappoint.  Hubby likes to order it with fresh squeezed garlic on top.  YUM.  We called it at night around 10 p.m.
*****
  The next day {no on-call!} I made us breakfast featuring those aforementioned pumpkin muffins.  They turned out so good - I will have to post that recipe soon.  Its an oldie but goodie from my late SIL - they are so moist and delicious.
Around noon we headed to Burnet for our last wine club pick-up at Wedding Oak.  We have mixed feelings about dropping this wine club.  But, as I remind Hubby, we can stop in any time to visit without being wine club members.  While we were there, we had BBQ sammies from Bohemian BBQ food truck, which were very good.  After lunch we headed where else? - Highlands.
 We filled up our water buffalo, but had zero plans to do anything else there but relax.
It was a grey day, but we built a small fire in the firepit and enjoyed one of the wines we had just picked up - a Petit Verdot that was excellent.  There were LOTS of deer - 11 at one time which is unusual to see up there.  They didn't seem particularly bothered by us.  Around 7 we headed home to enjoy a grilled pork rib chop, loaded baked potato, and a salad with sliced pear - all good.  Pie might have been also enjoyed...and with that our weekend ended.  This week is a doozy, but we are halfway to our next weekend already!



Gina

No comments: