Friday, February 28, 2020

5 thing Friday - plant babies, bins, tea cups, shoes, parking

I took Wednesday off to get my mother back to Brenham from Austin in the afternoon.  And since I had the morning free to do as I pleased, I worked on my plant babies.
 They got some fresh soil on the tops, a good watering, and some readjustment in the sun.
This little grouping makes me smile.  The landscape light had a broken base, but works great in my ficus tree, which really loves living here.  I bought a creeping fig to see how it would do in a pot, added some clam shells that The Girl brought home from Ireland, and set it in that antique milk crate we found at Highlands.   I'm still using my eleventy billion corks as mulch, too.
I also potted an asparagus fern, and gave my olive tree a bigger pot - both at the front door.  Since asparagus ferns like partial sun, I also planted a couple of them in big pots that were near my mother's front steps.  They will spread out a bit and look so lacy and pretty.
 I saw these stacking bins at Home Depot and thought they would be useful for the storage unit at Highlands.  We have small tools, cords and hoses, paint cans, and other bric-a-brac that these are perfect for.
I think Hubby will try to dissuade me as we are on an economy drive currently, but I am penciling them into my plans as they are only about $15 apiece.  I noticed he threw a bunch of crap in there after finishing out the barn and I for sure don't want the storage unit to look like our garage at home!
 When I pulled down all of the winter stuff around the house, I noticed these tea cups in the china cabinet and thought they would be fun with some faux ivy in them. {I guess I could have dusted the shelf...}
They are ca. 1950 from my late MIL - a gentleman and a lady.  Kind of creepy and cute all at once.  They aren't marked on the bottom so I have no idea how to look up their value.  
 I bought some fun Clark's cork wedges with money from my change jar and my Rakuten rebate check.  Plus they were on sale.  So they were $6 all told!  They are a shabby pewter leather and I love them.  Not so great with jeans, but I think they will be cute with spring dresses or skirts.
Last week was so dreary.  I took this photo of the employee parking lot, totally emptied out.  The parking situation at work was already awful so this makes it much worse.  Our parking garage will not be complete until May so it will suck to park at work for at least a  couple months longer...


Gina

No comments: