Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Planning for a pretty table

Nothing makes me more excited about life as a family as Thanksgiving does!  When The Girl visited this last weekend, we sat down and made out the menu and the lists.  The menu doesn't hold too many surprises because my peeps look forward to having all of their favorite dishes.  So I get creative with the table!  Yesterday I started gathering the table things.  Last year's table was very pretty I thought - a mix of lace  doilies and burlap and crystal.  We even pulled down my late MIL's silver.   The year before I had fresh flowers in a thrift store vase. Each year its a little different.  But what to do this year?
In advance of figuring all of that out,  I cleaned out the cabinets next to the fridge.  I had to locate the chargers which will get a new coat of spray paint, and make room for the new red wine glasses I bought.  I noticed that the very top shelf was sagging due to the weight of the glass plates up there.  So I found a spot for them down below the counter, turned that top shelf upside down to correct the bend in it, and wah la!  More space and no noticeable sag.
Moving the plates gave me more room to store glassware up top.  It doesn't look so crowded now, so I'm not tempted to start a pile for Goodwill!  We still have a ton of plastic glasses to drink from - a few of those can go, I think.
I realized last year that I bought the wrong type of "wine glasses".  Turns out, they are iced tea goblets. Cue sad face.  I wondered why the wine didn't taste as good as it should...my bad.  The right wine glass does make a difference!
An idea for the tablescape is coming to mind...something involving a mixed collection of candles, a grapevine wreath, some fall leaves and flowers, and some spiffed up chargers. (I'm thinking a much softer gold)   Now to get some candles and pretty napkins!
Do you plan a pretty table, too? 




No comments: