Friday, October 19, 2018

5 thing Friday - jewelry, rain, chicken salads, bookcase, The Girl

Recently, Hubby and I had our 33rd wedding anniversary.  He hid a familiar pink bag in the coffee cupboard where I would find this pretty inside:
 And it really is pretty, but when I saw the price of it, I about choked.  I wore it for a couple of days and put it carefully back in its box.  Back it goes, sadly, for a number of reasons, but especially because I need it like I need a new hole in my head.  So I picked a stack ring to wear with a birthstone ring he bought me long ago and I am pleased as punch with it.  My tastes are getting simpler, I think.
Everyone (I assume) in Central Texas is sick to death of the rain.  Lakes and rivers flooding, humidity and mold.  Ugh to it all.  Hooray for no drought, but come on - this rain has been epic- two to four more inches today and tomorrow with 14 inches so far.  I really feel for the folks in Kingsland and Marble Falls.  And by next weekend, we will have to make sure the canoe is still tethered to its tree since I'm sure our neck of the lake will be back up.
I was pretty regular about making salads during the summer - they are fairly easy to prepare and store, and dinner is ready when you get home.  Yesterday I made a version of The Girl's Greek Salads: romaine, cucumber, olives, grape tomatoes, feta, and some chicken I seasoned with lemon pepper before I plopped it into the crock pot.
I left my peeps the salads, some Greek dressing, and a note reminding them to make garlic toast...
 
 ...because I aim for the kitchen to look like this when I leave the house - dishwasher chugging along, counters and floors cleaned...ahhhh...makes me wish I could stay home for the day, but I leave around 10:30.
 I added some Fall to the bookcase in the den - nothing fancy.
 I found this sign at Dollar Tree, and the little gourds with faux plants at Target.  I added a little DT moss around the base of the plants.  I love that moss can elevate a simple fake potted plant!
 The Girl's two recent foster kitties got adopted - hooray!  While she was recovering from the flu they were a source of snuggles.  Almost makes me want one.  Almost.  She will be here tomorrow with Teddy - she is heading into a busy time at work leading up to Thanksgiving so Teddy will walk us daily (weather permitting!) to get us ready for the Turkey Trot!



1 comment:

bj said...

I can't imagine making a salad in the crock pot....but, it was probably good. :)