Friday, August 3, 2018

Simple marinara

I've made my own marinara before, but it was a lengthier process.  In the past I heated some olive oil, sauteed some mire poix, garlic, smashed anchovies, and crushed tomatoes, then simmered it a couple of hours.  I find that lately, I don't really have time for all of that.  It makes a wonderful sauce, but sometimes I just want something simple - a shortcut.  A lot of my cooking lately has involved shortcuts!  And this week I made a marinara that was so good and so simple.  So here is what I did:
Simple Marinara
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
Some olive oil
several cloves chopped garlic
a small onion, diced
salt, pepper, a teaspoon of sugar
about a teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
(makes about 3 pint jars full)
I sauteed the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft, added in the seasonings and stirred a bit.  Then I dumped in the cans of tomato and sauce and simmered it on low, covered, about 30 minutes.  Cooled it and stored in a jar in the fridge.  
 
The next night I made a gnocchi and sausage skillet with it and it was WONDERFUL.  Very rich and full-flavored, and I really loved the gnocchi which I had never had before.  Next time I make it I will post the recipe - there is more marinara in my freezer!
Happy Friday!

Gina

Shared with:

No comments: