Friday, August 24, 2018

5 thing Friday - drought, abalone shell, Jenga, pie, worry

The Austin area is having another scorcher of a summer - this one is turning out to be hotter than last summer (which was record-breaking), with over 45 days of 100 plus heat.  So, the drought is still on, and we could sure use more rain.  More than what we got the previous weekend and for a longer period of time.
Last weekend, we mowed the grass at Highlands.  A spark from an overheated engine can set the place ablaze, so it worries me.  We hadn't mowed since right after the bluebonnets died down.
The skies are still blue, the trees are still doing well, but everything else is so yellow.  Even the cacti seems to be struggling.
After a morning spent mowing, who doesn't enjoy Whataburger and a beer?
And we "beered it forward" to some friends we hope will stop by!
 
I found a treasure under the oaks that we cleared around to put a table for giant Jenga.  I think I will use it as a little dish on my nightstand.  At one point in time, Highlands was a virtual dump. I often joke with Hubby that any day now, we will either find a body, or a bank robber's stash up there.
That table weighs a TON and was already on the property.  It is plenty sturdy for a Jenga game in the shade.  And since the storage box for the games pieces is also heavy, it can live under the table.
Peaches are in season and plentiful, so I made a peach pie last Sunday using of my pie crusts in my freezer stash.  I boiled water to let sit on the peaches a couple of minutes, and the skins slid right off,  Then I sliced them up and added, sugar, a bit of flour, cinnamon, dash salt, and butter.  It was buttery peachy wonderful!
The situation with my mother is still a thing and has my sisters and I worried and at odds over what the solution is.  I took her grocery shopping on Wednesday, and she seemed to do fine.  But later, she showed me her bruises and burst into tears.  This isn't like her, and I know she herself is worried.  She thinks time will heal her wounds, and I'm sure that is true, but I don't think bruises are the only concern.  For now, I hope the three of us can give her some peace and not talk to her about it constantly.



Gina

No comments: