Monday, May 9, 2016

Mire poix refaire

Five years ago, I had never heard of mire poix.  In fact, my famously frugal mother probably made it often, but she never passed down many cooking tips to me.  It was up to me to practice and learn.  But I did happen upon mire poix on the interwebs and I am so glad I did!  Apart from being thrifty with bits of veggies that might go bad in the crisper, it adds so much flavor to all sorts of things:  meatloaf, pasta sauces, soups, Dr. Martin's Mix...you get the idea!  The basic recipe is one part each celery, onion, carrot. Saute some mire poix in olive oil or butter and you can add so much flavor to so many dishes.  In fact, its the basis for our stuffing at Thanksgiving.
Ready for choppin'!

Lots of ethnic cuisines have a mire poix of sorts.  In Spain its called sofrito, in Germany suppergrun, in Portugal its called refogado.  The Camp Rustown version is the basic onions, celery, carrots, and whatever else I might have that needs using up!  This last batch had red bell pepper, but I have also added green bell pepper and garlic.  I chop it all very finely and mix well, then freeze 1 cup portions in zip loc baggies for future use.  Just another delicious way to add veggies and flavor to a meal.  Try it!


Gina

No comments: