Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Creative frugal meals week

(please enjoy non-exciting photos of my freezer)
For being such a tall and skinny freezer space, this freezer holds a surprising amount of stuff.  And recently, I realized that we need to clean it out - there is plenty of food in there even if it looks quite empty!
It's full of some seemingly random stuff that will be put to good use this week - including turkey stock, feta cheese, some ravioli I bought on clearance at Target, cookie dough, biscuits, black beans, mire poix,  and plenty of meat.  Plus, I found more odds and ends in the pantry that will help round out the effort - about a third of a box of quinoa, some crushed tomatoes, anchovies, and packages of mashed potatoes. 
So, here's the plan:
Monday was an extra dish of Healthy Tater Tot Casserole from the last time I made it.
Tuesday was Pulled Pork from the freezer, along with leftover onion hamburger buns.
Wednesday will be Freezer Ravioli with homemade marinara and Italian Sausage, salad.
Thursday will be Lentil Soup with mire poix and a couple of leftover smoked ribs from the freezer, plus Feta Skillet Bread.
Friday will be Cranberry Pork Loin (freezer meal) with carrots I found in the fridge, and mashed potatoes.
Saturday Hubby grills (he shops), Sunday I pick up take out.
Monday is an extra dish of Baked Penne I had frozen, salad.
Tuesday is Shrimp and Black Bean Quinoa using 1/2 a pound of leftover frozen shrimp.  I'm sure mire poix will make it's way into this, also!
Dessert for this group of meals is Chocolate Buttermilk Cookies (freezer) and leftover Razzleberry Pie (fridge).
Next Wednesday morning I will wipe out the inside of the freezer and fridge and go grocery shopping for a normal week.  Along with not being wasteful with the food we already have, it will give us a break on the grocery bill as lately, we've been spending a LOT on food. 
This week I had just a few items to buy - mostly cereal, fruit, a couple packages of meat and some personal itemsGee, I wish every week was a $50 trip to HEB!




No comments: