Monday, July 9, 2012

Mealplan Monday #16 and Dr. Martin's Mix

Brilliant idea not from me:  To make freezer meals, line a casserole dish with foil, fill with food, then freeze.  When frozen, pop out of dish and store in clearly labeled zip-loc bag.  Saves space, keeps dishes available.  Just pop the food back into a dish, thaw, and bake.  Genius.
Wish I had thought of that!  I usually just freeze them in the dish I am planning to bake and serve in.  But that takes up so much space and then I can't use that dish until I cook that item.  And who wants to go buy a bunch of foil pans for that?  Not me.  One of those "why didn't I think of that?" things... 
******
Monday - Cheesey Chicken Tater Tot Casserole, summer squash
Tuesday - Burgers, crock pot beans, chips
Wednesday - Ham sammies on Hawaiian bread, cream of broccoli soup
Thursday - Jude's Chicken Casserole (freeze half), carrots
Friday - Freezer Meal - Pasta Bake, green beans
Saturday - Dad grills
Sunday - Dr. Martin's Mix*, salad
******
Crockpot meals can just go directly from big zip-loc bags to the crock, frozen.  And zip-locs are so easy to label.  By the time school starts back up, I will have this freezer stocked!
******
*Here is the recipe for Dr. Martin’s Mix, exactly as Peg Bracken wrote it 60 years ago:
Dr. Martin’s Mix
(It takes about seven minutes to put this together. Dr. Martin is a busy man).
Crumble 1 to 1 ½ pounds of pork sausage (hamburger will do, but pork is better) into a skillet and brown it. Pour off a little of the fat. Then add:
1 green pepper, chopped
2 green onions, (also called scallions) chopped
2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped
2 cups chicken consommé or bouillon
1 cup raw rice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Dr. Martin then puts the lid on and lets it simmer at the lowest possible heat until he goes out and sets a fracture. When he comes back in about an hour, his dinner is ready. 

I only cook it for 25 minutes, but my heat is probably higher.  
Enjoy!



Shared with:

1 comment:

Brandi Lee said...

The idea about freezing int he dish, then removing it is genius!!! I never have enough room in my freezer for the dishes to sit in there, too.

Great idea! :)