Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mire poix

Recently I happened upon Redoux, a very cute blog.  A post that caught my eye was for mire poix - a chopped veggie blend you use in cooking as a seasoning base for all kinds of wonderful things.  She does a great job explaining it - go here.  Since I had these at the bottom of my veggie drawer I thought I would give it a try!
These veggies I need to use up since I'll be leaving the house shortly to do grocery shopping.  I hate wasting food!  But this will be delicious made into mire poix! 
 I chopped two bell peppers...
 Almost an entire bunch of celery...
 Several carrots - I think I had 4 good sized ones...
Two onions - I saved these for last as they were so potent!  I cried the whole time and felt like I was in danger of chopping my own hand off as I could barely see my knife.  {At some point, I'm going to have to get a food processor.  For now, I am the food processor.}
 I gave it a stir in a large plastic bowl. 
 Then I scooped it into ziploc bags in 1 cup portions.
And put all the little bags into one big gallon size one.  Then promptly misspelled my label.  Oh, well.  It occurred to me that mire poix is the same, basically, as the celery and onion I saute and add to my dressing each Thanksgiving.  Something tells me I'm going to love using these little bags of veggies all year long.



Shared with:
and:

2 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

When I saw this at These Peas Taste Funny, I thought you were going to cook it! But, I love the idea that I have all of this chopped and bagged in my freezer. Like you, I know I would use them...a lot! Thanks for sharing!

Little City Farm said...

Great idea to have them stashed in the freezer. I love when you have a bit of a hectic night but still want to cook something healthy, you reach in and grab your freezer bag and you're halfway there. Brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week.