Friday, September 23, 2011

Baking supply ready for the holidays

I pulled out my baking basket yesterday to make a few batches of cookies to freeze and thought I'd better get it cleaned up and see what I needed for holiday baking.  I think a basket like this is a great idea if you love to bake - it keeps you from having to fish around in your dark pantry for those little bottles and boxes of things!
I got this stackable basket from Wally World.  It was just the right size.  I don't put my spices in there, like cinnamon and such, since they live in the spice cabinet.  And the containers of sugar and flour are way too big.  But for the cocoa, baking powder, salt, etc., it's perfect.
I also put in one of those containers lunchmeat comes in to hold the little bottles of extract. 
I'm starting to re-purpose things like that more often.
Did you know that every cereal box comes with a freebie?  Wax paper!  You can use it for storing cookie dough in the freezer.  I have also used them in place of pricey gallon size zip loc bags to marinate meat and store half cut heads of lettuce.  Something else I started doing was to mark with a sharpie on the tops of things as to when they needed to be replaced. 
The basket gets stored on the same shelf as the flour and such. I just pull the whole thing out when I want to bake.  In the meantime, there's usually a snack basket hiding it.  looks like I need to add flour and sugar to my grocery list!  What about you - got any holiday baking tips to share?




Shared with:


4 comments:

KimMalk said...

Okay, Gina, this is such a great tip, I wonder why I haven't thought to do it. I've probably spent hours over my lifetime hunting for extract or baking soda.

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Hey Gina,

You're so organized - I love this inspiration to get my pantry ready for baking season. ...and who knew about the cereal bags?! Thanks for sharing with Sweets This Week.

Sarah

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love this Gina! You are so organized! I just pulled out my baking things & did the same thing! I love how you are re-purposing things too....great tips and good for the planet! Have a wonderful Monday! Angie xo

Marie said...

Ha! I was thinking the same thing as Sarah...You are so organized!