Sunday, August 29, 2010

My thrifty "day off"

Well, I didn't get a real day off, mind you.  But I did ease up on my To Do list and allow myself to go bopping around Salvation Army and Hob Lob on Friday as a reward for a successful first week back to school (:  Check out what I got:
At Hobby Lobby I spent $22 with tax and got the pumpkin I had been coveting, a round fall candle, and some decorative little gourds and pinecones.  The pumpkin was 50% off! Yeah!  I have plans for the candle and little thingiebobbers.  More on that later...then I stopped at a Salvation Army I had never visited. The store was HUGE, well-lit and very clean.  I will definitely visit there again.  Turns out it was half off Bric-A-Brac day so I spent a whopping $3 on a cute silver wire basket, that lovely amber colored vase with tiny bubbles in the glass, and the daisy plate.  As soon as I got home, I got busy on the plate, I had a plan, you see...
I cleaned it up and rounded up some of the leftover fabric from the girl's room re-do.  Added modge podge, fixed bumpers on the bottom and now...
It's a pretty catch-all for coins, jewelry, name badge, keys, etc.  I got to use my glitter modge podge, and tho you can't see it in this pic, it adds a little extra sparkle to the plain fabric.  The silver basket is also going in her room, as an "In Box" for mail on her desk.  
Hey, maybe thrifting once a week should be in my regular routine!



4 comments:

Marie said...

My idea of FUN!
Cute pumpkin.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I bought one of these pumpkins too! I fell in love the minute I saw it. I think I have had it for 2 months now. I am waiting for it to cool down just a bit and then I will get all my stuff out. Thrift shopping is always a good time!

KimMalk said...

Lucky you. I really like the pumpkin you found. :)

michelle ellis said...

I have been wanting one of those pumpkins since I first saw them too! I MUST go get one. That plate it too cute!!