Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Penne Chicken Alfredo

This was so good for dinner, I had to share! I only had the oven on 30 minutes - bent my rule tonight (:
I started out by seasoning three big chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian Seasoning.  Then browned in some olive oil, put the lid on, and let it simmer about 25 min.
I wanted to try this whole grain penne - looked good - with a jar of Alfredo sauce. Note: If you like a lot of sauce, double up on it OR add a can of cream of something soup.  Depends on what you have on hand and how you like your pasta.
My cast iron dutch oven makes for really juicy chicken.  
I added the water/drippings to the boiling water for the pasta.
While that cooked, I made a crumb topping with two toasted and very dry pieces of bread, butter, grated parmesan cheese, and a little garlic powder.  Mix with a fork and set aside.
Yum. Buttery crunchy topping!
When the chicken is done, cool it, then cut into cubes.
Then just toss the pasta, sauce, and chicken.  Top with the buttery crumbs. 
I made enough for 2 dishes; one I will freeze.
I heated it uncovered for about 30 minutes while I made a salad.  
It was delish!
And we have another one in the freezer to look forward to on a hectic back to school night!



No comments: