Monday, November 20, 2023

Monday menus #46

 I followed a budget and formula this year for my peep's Christmas gifts, and I think I did well.  One of the categories is "something to read".  Rather than spend $20 for one book apiece, I scoured two local Goodwills and bought maybe 6 or 7 books per person.  I stacked them with a heavy duty rubber band, tied burlap ribbon over that, and included a scrappy bookmark
Yet another "tacky homemade"! 
If I want to be more frugal, I have to flex my creative muscle!

Monday - I'm back to not worrying about making a dinner.  The people who currently live with me are adults and can fend for themselves. {Gina off today}
Tuesday - Alamo Bowls (rice, taco meat, black beans, corn, salsa, cheese) {Happy Birthday to me!, taking a beginner Tai Chi class}
Wednesday - Freezer Pizza and likely a side salad {cooking Thanksgiving food  today, on call in the evening}
Thursday - Turkey and Dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce, Bacon Green Beans, Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes, brownie and cookie tray {Gina works 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., eating Thanksgiving Meal around 2:30}
Friday - Day After Turkey Soup* {put all of the Christmas decor out}
Saturday and Sunday - kitchen closed


Gina


*I have been making this for years.  I simmer the turkey carcass on the stove (or in the crockpot) for hours, strain off the bones and etc.  Then add a can of condensed soup to the broth along with whatever fresh veggies I have in the fridge, some chopped leftover turkey, back to the soup pot and simmer it until the veggies are almost done.  Add some pasta and seasonings and cook another 10 minutes or so. Comfort in a bowl and it always reminds me of my mother.

3 comments:

Joni said...

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving. I'm also a healthcare provider and will be working. My family is raised and I want to give my co-workers with young families a chance to be with them. I know that this year will be a challenge of missing your mom. Thank you for the turkey soup idea. I will do that for the nurse's lounge on Friday add a couple of loaves of homemade bread and sweet butter. Um, yes please!

Kim said...

Thrift stores have the best books. I love that idea. Happy Thanksgiving, Gina.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I would much rather have a stack of books from Goodwill than one new one. I have often told people that, unless it’s a coffee table kind of book, to feel free to buy me a used copy. I think that is a wonderful idea, and so cute tied up with a burlap bow.

I’m glad to hear that you made the chicken française and enjoyed it.