Friday, November 24, 2023

5 thing Friday - oatmeal, anniversary ring, unfinished project, bread bowl, Mom

Why is it that starting a good habit is harder than kicking a bad one? 
I actually enjoy my microwave oatmeal al work.  So much more so than an Egg McMuffin.  Sometimes It all comes down to habit - getting yourself prepped and ready for work the day before helps.  For the most part, I do well at cooking and eating the food I purchase from the store.  I guess an occasional fast food breakfast won't kill me, but its not exactly good for me, either.
My favorite jeweler cleaned and resized this simple ring that Mark gave me for our 11th anniversary, meant to "match" his wedding band, and including four tiny diamonds.  I know nugget jewelry is no longer "in" but I'm OK with that.  This ring brings back many happy memories and makes me feel grounded. 
Very small project: installing a new potty seat.  I needed it after feeling so down about the tile job.  I won't go into great detail...
...other than to say the grout job was not done well.  So now I have to decide whether to:
*get the tile guy to fix it 
*fix it myself
*hire someone else to fix it
*stain it a darker color?
Stay tuned.
This giant ironstone bowl is something of a family heirloom.  Mark's grandmother used it to make bread dough - her specialty was brown bread.  He was close to his grandmother, an immigrant from Norway who spoke only little English but had the love of a dear little boy who enjoyed her bread.  The bowl is retired from bread-baking and now holds cinnamon potpourri.
On my birthday, I paused and thought of my mother.
How brave she was to make a life for herself as a single woman at 70 years young.  May I be as strong, creative, courageous, and ready to live a life worth living.


Gina

3 comments:

Joni said...

It is a journey to lose your husband at such a young age. I reflect back on my Grandma who was just 52 when she lost my Grandpa. She created a wonderful example for her whole family. The first person she had to please was herself. Period.
Two years ago we lost my Dad and then 5 months later I lost my husband and 2 months after that we lost my middle brother. We are still reeling from it, Mom is in the middle stages of dementia. I quit my nursing (Trauma ICU) job and I ranch full time and manage our tree farm, too. You are a great inspiration to me and I am working on making my home peaceful and keep reminding myself that I can organize to suit my needs and purge, purge, purge!

Kim said...

I love the ring and if it's special to you and makes you smile when you wear it, that's wonderful.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I’m so happy to see that you pulled out the ironstone bowl. What a treasure that is. Think of all of the bread that was baked as the result of that bowl. The potpourri looks wonderful. Did you make that? I have been toying with the idea of drying out orange slices to make my own, but I haven’t had a lot of luck with that in the past.