Friday, April 21, 2023

5 thing Friday - new hospital, learning, H Mart, Ted, shrubs

The hospital has an informal thing on Tuesday where you learn to find your way around the hospital.  But in advance of that, I walked around and took note of a few places...
the cafeteria,
and a wide open window space to sit and eat outside of it.
It wraps around the inside of this end of the building, and there are lots of places to sit and eat peacefully - no giant LOUD cafeteria.}
the gift shop - I like the use of glass walls all around
the pharmacy
tiny chapel
It all still looks pretty empty as everyone has not fully moved in.  One week to go!
I've been spending most of the week trying to catch up on all of my education modules.  The one for PALS (Pediatric Advance Life Support) took me far longer than it would have had I been an actual nurse.  Spoiler alert:  XR folk don't have to know or use a fraction of the material covered so it was quite challenging!
For lunch one day we went to an Asian supermarket called H Mart.  So much to look at!  I've been wanting to come here for such a long time.  They had a food court at one end of the space and a grocery store on the other.  Sort of like an Asian Whole Foods Market.  I had sweet garlicky chicken and fries, and may have purchased a few things from the bakery such as the honey cheese mochi pancakes, a sweet garlic cream cheese bun, and a butter danish with Nutella and banana.  I will be going back on one of my future off days.
Ted was here to visit for a little over 24 hours.  He hopped right up into my lap on the second day like "here is where I belong".  Then his mom picked him up and he forgot all about me!
I am excited to learn all of the new equipment and quit working on education modules.  This is our Mini C-Arm.  We will use it for bedside fracture reductions in the ER.  Mini C's save the patient having to go to the traditional OR, since simple fractures can be reduced by ortho techs with the help of an XR tech in the ER with conscious sedation and no overnight stay. We will use this a LOT.
I planted these Ligustrum shrub back in Spring of '21 and they have survived brutal Texas heat and 2 ice storms.  One evening this week I was sitting out here enjoying the scent their little buds are emitting.  So beautiful!  It was a pain in the neck to remove the shrubs that were already there, with their stubborn roots, buy new shrubs {and they were not cheap}, dig holes, plant, mulch, protect....wonder what Mark would think about it now?  "Good job, honey".


Gina

1 comment:

Bobi said...

I find it kind of ironic to look at the pics of your new hospital and see that the design elements/room layouts look exactly like the hospital near me which opened a few years ago. In particular, the cafeteria and gift shop appear to be identical to the one here. I guess someone designs one hospital (or other building) and then just sells the plans over and over. Hope you enjoy your new workplace.