Friday, April 14, 2023

5 thing Friday - barrel cactus, necklace, Easter, new job, FB memories

 The day before Easter, I checked on Highlands and found my barrel cactus, hidden under an oak, flanked by Nandina and Texas Sage...an odd and shady place for a cactus.  Anyhoo, it was about to bloom so I put it and a lot of its surrounding dirt in a temporary home on my patio.
And bloom it did!
On Easter, I wore my "messy nest" {made by a friend} with my lucky penny charm {from Etsy} and an "m" for Mark {James Avery}.  I love changing out the charms on this necklace.  Its one of my favorites!  Mark gifted it to me on Mother's Day 2019.  A very good memory.
I did so enjoy the pulled chicken on Easter.  It made delicious sammies!  Scout and I ate all we wanted, then I froze the rest for future us.
I tried to talk him into going to get a beer with me on Easter afternoon, but he wouldn't budge.  So I texted a former co-worker, she brought her mom, and we had a great time talking and laughing for three hours!
Long story condensed: my friend and co-worker informed me at 2 p.m on Tuesday that it was my last day at my current hospital and to show up at the new place bright and early the next day.  Its happening, she said.  I could have cried.  I had an hour and a half to say goodbye to the folks who were going to be leaving at 3:30 - one I had know for over 30 years - and we were so. damn. busy.
I wrote notes on a couple of dry erase boards.  It was just too hard to do in person.  They all thought I would be there until Friday, and so had I.
The next evening at the new hospital was the grand opening.  Since I hadn't slept well the night before, I didn't stay for that.  My friend took the charge nurse and I out for a Chinese lunch.  I sat and worked on the computer in an air conditioned office with oldies rock playing in the background as I ate a donut and enjoyed a K-cup of coffee.  My new boss offered me a glass of wine and gave me a giftie bag. I watched the worklist for the other hospital explode with patients and I felt like I had escaped a war zone.  I was a little shell shocked.
Yesterday was better, as far as how I felt.  I ate a quiet lunch in the breakroom.  Walked around the hospital, finding my way around.  Met a nice lady in registration in the professional building next door.  Got so many educational modules done.  Deep breaths.
Thank you, FB for continued reminders, including this one of Bubbie, who had hernia surgery as a result of falling forward on his bike handles 12 years ago. {actually this was the second time he did this, but he didn't have surgery to repair it the first time around}  Sometimes, I wish he was this little again - he was 11 here and still my baby.  I do miss him.
Happy weekend!


Gina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through one of your comments on The Frugal Girl and absolutely love your posts. My life is quite different from yours (I'm a 35yo woman in NYC) but I love seeing you find joy in everyday things and all the delicious food you make, and the occasional glass of wine or beer! Thanks for sharing that part of your life.