Friday, March 10, 2023

Managing the stuff

I'm one of those people who find a sense of control when I clean or organize things in my world.  And for me, the garage here at Camp Rustown represents a very messy aspect of my life.  I won't go into details here, but just know that it being jam-packed with things that needed to go has weighed on me for some time.  I can't control that Mark and the kids are not here, but I can decide to let some of this cargo GO.
Making Goodwill runs, recycling paper and cardboard, placing things out for bulky pick-up are all well and good, but its a slow process.  So I put in a request to join the Buy Nothing Facebook group and waited awhile before I was added.  In the meantime, I gathered up the first round of things to re-home.
Coolers, water buffaloes, a giant Jenga game with a table, and this beast of a steel cabinet.  The Giant Jenga went fast.  Each weekend I will aim for re-homing at least two batches of things.  Working off my stress and nervous energy feels good out here.  Slowly, my home is becoming less cluttered from the past and more organized for my future.
I wonder how Mark and I would ever have managed to tackle the process of whittling down our things and getting them ready to move so we could sell Rustown.  There was just so much stuff.  And he was so resistant to parting with any of it.  I will never know, and I try not to think about it too often, because it really doesn't matter now.  With each load of things that leave the house I feel a little more assured that I am on the right track and managing the "stuff".   And it gets a little easier as I go.


Gina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you still have the cabinet with the drawers, I will gladly buy from you. I am in Houston and we could come retrieve it in the next week weeks (next week is Spring Break here). I have a *thing* for cabinets with lots of drawers.
Wendy
dodge_1977@yahoo.com
( don't have a google account)

Kim said...

I used to love decor stuff...I had it every corner of the house. There wasn't a cabinet top, or shelf that didn't have several items jammed onto them. I loved the look. Today, I want simple. I don't want to manage a lot of stuff and dust it and take care of it. For me, less is definitely more.