Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Little project: hall closet

 Behind this door lurked a closet stuffed full of vintage camera equipment, slides and reels, cleaning items, coats, board games none of us had played in years, and the world's biggest dust bunnies!  So, there's no "befores" to show you, because in a fit of inspiration I gave it a clean sweep on NY day.
You're just gonna have to believe me that every time I opened this closet, I felt a little angry.  It seems like we got to live in this house for about a year, with space to grow, then my MIL passed and we inherited 50% of the things in her house.
Mark wouldn't part with any of it.
I finally decided I had enough.  His old coats went to live in Bubbie's closet.  I hauled the camera crap out to the garage where it now has a dedicated space.  Everything else went into the Goodwill pile. Then I made space for some other random items (Swiffer refills and haircut supplies), decided which games to keep (not very many), and called it good enough.
  And now this closet is about a third emptier, and I don't promise I won't get rid of more of it in the future.
What's under the shelves? Two carrying cases full of old LP's ca. 70's and 80's.
And look! a crap ton of them above, too.
On the other side hangs my coats, the leaves to the dining and kitchen tables, a carpet cleaning machine, and the vacuum.  Its always amazed me how small this closet is, considering this is a 4 bedroom house*.  On to the next project...

  
Gina

******
Should I save things for my peeps?  Here is what I have decided about that:  this house needs to work for me, as a home, not as a storage facility.  In fact, I have asked them several times to come over and look through the items I am purging, to see if they want any of it.  They decline.  So in my view, all of the things left here are my responsibility to keep or toss as I see fit.  I can either store them for a "someday" when there is no guarantee someone will want them, or I make space in here for me to live.
I choose space to live.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I too wrestle with what to do with my kids' stuff...it's getting overwhelming. Granted they still live here, but I already know that 90% of the stuff they're saving, they won't want!!

Anonymous said...

Some of those 1970s LPs, if in good / great condition, might be worth quite a bit! Maybe see about reselling those if anyone in your area buys them? And I agree; it is now time to make the house your home and if the kids don't want them, then it is your choice what to do with the 'things' you don't need or want.
Dawn P. Albany, GA

Karen said...

I am in the process of sorting through my mother's "old old" stuff. She asked me many times if I wanted the old clippings, papers, family stuff and I always said no. Now that she's gone I'm very thankful she kept the old stuff. I must be old enough to appreciate family history. She's no longer here to tell me the history. I have no children. I do have distant relatives and old friends and they have asked me to keep/send the old info/pics to them. A project for another time........... Just the other side of the storage problem.

WG said...

I'm with you sister! Kids moved out 3 and 10 years ago. Husband passed away 6 months ago. Everyone has had their chance - purging has begun!