Friday, November 18, 2022

5 thing Friday - mini tree, Highlands, car trouble, cranberry juice, corn chowder

I wanted to put a Christmas tree up in the bedroom - something like a pencil-slim one, flocked, with some kind of fancy dancy lady-like theme.  But I haven't found one yet thats exactly what I want and  fits my budget.  So I set this small potted one out and called it done.  For now.
Its so pretty at night!
Last weekend I went up to Highlands to do a couple of things, including cleaning out the fridge and unplugging it.  It was only home to sodas, Gatorade, bottled water, and a small amount of boxed wine.  Our little kitchen area now is pretty bare.  I took everything off the pegboard and unplugged the microwave, too.
It was beautiful outside, so I poured myself the rest of that wine and took a walk around the top of the hill.
Its all very overgrown - nothing has been mowed or trimmed back in over a year, so it looks like nature is reclaiming Highlands.
Hello, canoe.
There was a light breeze and it was so peaceful.  It was the first time in a long time that I felt that way up there.
So I parked myself over by the firepit and enjoyed just sitting and doing nothing for a while.  I never saw deer or any other critter, but I was glad to have my snake boots, just in case!
Right after getting an oil change, these lights came on.  So I marched myself back over to the oil change place and the guy checked the codes and its something unrelated to the oil change and I guess I will spend at least part of my birthday over at the dealership getting a couple of recall items repaired (finally) and getting it all checked out.
And lets go ahead and add this to the list: I felt like I had UTI symptoms yesterday.  Pro tip: drinking anything from a wine glass makes it taste better, including cranberry juice.  I'm nipping this one in the bud.
And a pot of soup at the end of a long November day is also just what the doc ordered!  This is my mother's corn chowder recipe, which for most of my adult life has been my go-to comfort soup.  Its full of potatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper (usually celery), evaporated milk, spices, and salt pork bits and  tastes like love in a bowl.
Happy Weekend!


Gina

1 comment:

Lynda W said...

As always, I am amazed by your photography. What talent!