Friday, April 22, 2022

5 thing Friday - enchiladas, spring, owl, paloma martini, curbside eats

Homemade enchiladas: 
I use a carrot-based recipe for the sauce and this batch had shredded chicken and obviously lots of cheese.  Three leftover meals that future me will enjoy.
I'm so glad we are past winter.
Everything is green and growing!
{Incidentally, this owl is absolutely useless against squirrels.  They know he is plastic.  They are not afraid.  They frolic in my landscape with abandon and dig small holes near him.  Meanwhile, no owl has set up residence in my owl box, sadly.}  As soon as the oak trees stop losing their minds (and all of their pollen buds and old leaves) I will mulch the front beds.
Took me two days to get the yards mowed and edged - I was not about to push it.  And I have so much more to do.  All in time.
And my reward was a Paloma Martini - white wine, a shot of Deep Eddy lime vodka, Italian grapefruit soda, and a couple of olives with about a teaspoon of brine.  Served over ice with a smile.
I think its safe to say that the pandemic did not hurt grocery stores as much as it did everyone else.  The three HEB stores within 5 miles of me have all expanded their physical and curbside space.  Curbside looks like its going to stay my go to method of buying groceries. Its just too convenient.
Despite my meal plans, sometimes I end up at the Short Stop near my house if I'm running really late getting home or want a burger for lunch on a Saturday.  It reminds me of Mark - it was one of "our" places.  The food is good, they are always friendly, and it takes the burden of cooking off for that one meal.  Worth it.


Gina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We also started using HEB Curbside during the pandemic and doubt we will go back to in-store shopping unless we need just a few things. We tip $2-3 every time we do curbside. They know us now. When we pull up, even when they are packed, we never have to wait.
(W in Houston)