Wednesday, February 3, 2021

File this under "What was mom thinking?"

One morning a couple of weeks ago I paused for a selfie I thought I might post to Facebook or the blog or some such.  And me being me, I was all about the flaws I saw in my own reflection.  I wish I had that day back to repeat.  I might have done a better job of building myself up. 
That lady was pretty.  She just didn't know it.
Bye bye.  See you again in a couple of years.

But no.  What I saw was dry and thinning hair, and on closer inspection I discovered that my hair was indeed falling out at a more than normal rate, as evidenced by areas that were very thin.  Hairclips were not working any more.  I can't do headbands with these hearing aids and a mask.  I needed a haircut, I thought.  Something really easy.  Fast forward to Friday, haircut was on the list.  I won't bore you with details.  
I got a very bad haircut.
It is so short now that I cannot comb it.  Which might be good.  So short I don't have to wash it daily.  Which also might be good.  But also so short and choppy and misshapen and terrible that it will be weeks before I can go somewhere else to get it remedied in order to simply grow it back out again.  Because I have decided once and for all, I'm done with very short hair.
I bought two scrub caps and wear them to work daily.
I ordered some densifying shampoo.  Got a new BP medication prescription which may curb the unwanted side effect of hair falling out. And ordered some biotin gummies to add to my vitamin/fish oil/calcium routine. There's not to much else I can do, besides forgive myself.
Have you ever had a supremely bad haircut, and what did you do?


Gina

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh MY!! Well on the bright side you've narrowed down your hairstylist choices by at least one! I've had the same person do my hair for over 15 years now and I've yet to have a bad cut from her BUT previously, I had several. I'm a former beautician so I was able to 'fix' some things on my own but yes, unfortunately, some just need time to grow back out! Your cap looks very cute and flattering though!!

Kathy said...

Hi Gina,
I just want to say I always enjoy reading your blog! I also have very thin hair, but it's curly, which helps somewhat, but I've never cut it very short. What I do is conceal thinning areas with hair fibers (Boldify is one brand) that I order from Amazon. It's not perfect, but it does help.

Kim said...

Yup...twice!! Once when I was very small, I had long, long hair and my older sisters took me to get a pixie (against my will, I might add) and another in high school. I was given a mullet. Not a great feeling. However, the first thing I said to myself in the before photo was, "Wow, she has such a pretty face and beautiful skin, not a line anywhere." Looking at the second photo, I thought the same thing even more, since your hair was in a cap! It will grow back and in the meantime know that you look fabulous.

evelynthayer said...

Gina, you are beautiful and you have lovely skin. I have fine hair and highlights help “ thicken” it up a little. Once in a while when I am in the mood I will add 2 small clip ins of hair to fill in the back because the way the hairdresser cut it the last time it made it thinner in one spot. I just want you to know I love coming to your blog and seeing all the things you share. You’ve always been an inspiration to me.-Marie

evelynthayer said...

Gina, you are beautiful and you have lovely skin. I have fine hair and highlights help “ thicken” it up a little. Once in a while when I am in the mood I will add 2 small clip ins of hair to fill in the back because the way the hairdresser cut it the last time it made it thinner in one spot. I just want you to know I love coming to your blog and seeing all the things you share. You’ve always been an inspiration to me.-Marie