Friday, June 12, 2020

A small and thrifty sewing project

 I did a small sewing project on Wednesday that I'm sure I have blogged about before, but I can't find the post.  {Oh, well.} When I recently visited my mother, I helped her do some cleaning and dirtied up all of her cleaning rags.  I use them for everything and I usually wash them in hot bleach-y soapy water and hang them on the line to dry when we are done.  But I noticed that they were in pretty sad shape. {most of them probably needed to be thrown away!}  Time to make her some new ones, and as fate would have it, I had also ordered some new bath towels for Camp Rustown.  Meaning I could use one of the older towels to make cleaning rags.
I pulled out all of the cleaning rags I already owned and made sure they were all still useable.  (I have a tendency to use them until they fall apart!)  I trimmed off the stringy edges, folded them, and stacked them in that little white basket you see.  It lives under the kitchen sink.  I keep some in each bathroom, too - they are strictly for cleaning THINGS, not PEOPLE.  Then I kept out one of the ratty ones to use as a pattern of sorts.  I'll just save it in my sewing box as I'm sure I will do this little task for years to come!
Using my rotary cutter and mat, I got 15 new cloths out of one of the old towels I pulled from house circulation.  I used to purchase cleaning rags in packs of 10 at Wally World for about 5 bucks.  But why should I when I can just make them for nothing?  I also used to buy colored bath towels, but white ones make so much more sense - easy to see when they are dirty, easy to bleach, and easy to hang in the sun.
Then I sat at my machine in Bubbie's room and gave each of them a zig zag stitch, close to the edges to minimize fraying.  Fifteen new cleaning rags for my mother's house and few minutes feeling crafty and frugal before I cleaned it all up and went to work for the day.  These little projects do a lot to help me feel normal in these crazy times.  And it got me to thinking about what I want to sew and craft next.


Gina

Shared with:
Life and Linda

No comments: