Friday, April 28, 2023

5 thing Friday - kind words, front door basket, a good read, recent purging, printer woes

Several weeks ago I added this script in marker to my bathroom mirror.  I was hoping it would encourage me to reframe negative thoughts about my appearance each day.
Mark was so good about telling me "you're beautiful" on a regular basis, and I'm sure he meant it in more ways than one.  At the time, it didn't matter to me if I believed it for myself, only that he saw me that way.  My mirror message isn't magic, and it won't make me beautiful to everyone who sees me.  Its only meant for me to not be so hard on myself.
Changing up the front door wreath to a spring basket.  Might make it a little less pleasant for someone to try to casually look in that window, too.  I caught a sale at Michaels' for all of the supplies and I know I can change out the foliage and flowers easily for the seasons.
This was a thrifty read at $1.99 and I think I will hang on to it and read it again someday.  A fascinating history of the Galveston hurricane of 1900.  More people died in this storm than any of the 41 hurricanes recorded there since 1886.  I spent all of the 70's in Galveston, and people still referenced it - it's part of the heritage of the island.
If I ever get to the end of purging and cleaning and organizing this house, it will be a weird feeling.  I keep coming upon things that I thought I had managed, and its like I'm seeing it for the first time.  The only rationale I can come up with is that I am so unused to being in charge of everything here - literally everything.  I have learned to shush that little voice that says "Mark would be so mad".
Reminder: no he wouldn't.  He would understand.
The printer has decided it cannot recognize the ink cartridges.  I really don't have time to troubleshoot this, so I will be printer-less for awhile, I guess.  I do use this printer fairly often, so I went ahead and ordered new ink cartridges from Amazon as I already know the blue one is empty.  As with all things around here now - its my job to either fix them, or arrange to get them fixed.  But the good news is I no longer catastrophize it.
Baby steps.


Gina

5 comments:

Joni said...

Your post really resonated with me. I am purging the shops, barns and sheds. When I have a question, I place it on the workbench and when the bench is full of questions, the neighbor comes up and tells me what I have, if I need it and if it can go. I pay him in cookies. Don't even talk to me about his fishing equipment! I have grabbed a few things to re-use in my quilting, but for the most part, I will keep a few antique pieces, save an ocean rod and a few trout fishing rods and the rest I will sell.

Kim said...

That book looks interesting. I love historical nonfiction and while I've never been to Galveston, I do live on an island that gets hit by hurricanes often. So the topic interests me. I might have to check it out.

Esmé Slabbert said...

Purging is a never-ending issue, When we moved about 7 months ago to way smaller accommodation, I had to clean out and get rid of 17 years of "stuff". Now in the new place I have decided, once I buy one item I truly, truly love, two others need to go out to make space.
I visited you via Encouraging Hearts and Home:
If you are not already part of SSPS, this is a personal invite to hop over and come and share your posts with us at Senior Salon Pit Stop, every Monday to Saturday.
See my entries: 3+5 and then navigate to the bottom of my page for the Senior Salon Pit Stop linkup, we hope to meet you there virtually.

Pattie said...

I am controlled by the dead more than I care to admit. I have a devil of a time getting rid of things. There are some things around here that just have bad vibes, and yet because they belonged to my late husband, I feel as though I’m being disloyal to him by getting rid of it. My husband will be gone seven years in June. This summer, one of my goals is to get rid of a piece of furniture that belonged to him. It is totally not my style, and just gives me the creeps every time I look at it.

Joanne said...

I love your new wreath and that book sounds fabulous.