Monday, May 25, 2015

Band winding down for the (sophomore) year...

 Probably you would assume that  I would have a pic or two of Bubbie in a post about the last band concert of the year.  You might assume I would be on top of things in that regard, since I had ironed his clothes, gotten dinner in the oven on a timer, and gotten us to the thing on time.    You would be wrong.  Take my word for it:  the kid had clean and pressed clothes and was in the right place at the right time...
This is merely warm-up.  By 7 p.m., the auditorium was standing room only - after all, it was senior night.  He's in there somewhere.  Playing  euphonium on Amazing Grace, arr. by Ticheli, and Star Trek into Darkness arr. by Giacchino/Brown.  {I so wish he would practice at home.  I LOVE hearing my kids playing their instruments over the years!}  It was refreshing to hear concert band play something not intended for middle school band.  Really.  Stretch them a bit!
Hubby plopped down, saying in a voice that was a little too loud "I forgot about the darn concert".  That was after I reminded him at the door in the  morning, and by text in the afternoon...  Then he asked me twice what is for dinner.  I do not speak of dinner at a two hour band concert.  That's torture.  I do not condone torture.  And I already told you.  So, just wait til we get home and whatever I serve you will love, as you will be starving. 
And stop talking so loud or I will kill you.
Scout lent his undivided attention. 
Kidding.  
I know he's texting while listening to the band, but he's there, for his brother, and that's what counts.  And his calming presence brings out the calm in Hubby and I, too.  Sigh.  These days are slowly winding down.  It's bittersweet.  Two years to go til our youngest is out of high school...





No comments: