Monday, January 27, 2014

Mealplan Monday #95 and a lovely burlap pillow

I have a whole lot of burlap leftover from back in November when I made the shabby chic tree skirt.  My original plan was to make a matching table runner for the dining room, but I just ran out of time.  Maybe this Fall...instead I covered a pillow in some of it.  Want to see?  Sure you do! (wink)
Ta da!  It took me only an hour or so to make.  
I searched around Pinterest for some ideas before I began, and I found these:
  
 
All of which were super cute, too. But mine is an original!
******
Monday -  Rotisserie Chicken, scallopeds, broccoli
Tuesday - (Freezer) Beef and Bean Soup, garlic toast
Wednesday - (Freezer) Maple Dijon Chicken Thighs, couscous, salad
Thursday - Cheesy Smoked Sausage Skillet, green beans, garlic toast
Friday - Mom and Dad OUT for his birthday - Boys get pizza and a movie
Saturday - Dad grill
Sunday - Sloppy Joes and Fritos
Dessert this week is PB&J Bars to use up some of the jam we are not eating!
******
Here's the director's chair we've had since Hubby was in college.  He will not part with it.  It's not comfy to sit in, so mostly it stays right here, between the den and kitchen.  The pillow on it is so blah...
I started out by covering the pillow with some natural color fabric I had in my stash (not shown).  I did that so the green wouldn't show thru the burlap, but I doubled the thickness of burlap for the pillow cover anyway.  Then I sewed a couple of long fat strips and pressed the seam to the inside on each.
I laid the pillow on the fabric, folded where I wanted it to cross over in the back, pressed it.  Then I knotted the two strips of burlap and laid them out on the fabric to criss cross the front of the pillow cover, like so:
I wanted the ends to be sewn in to the bottom seams because I am doing a French enclosure pillow cover.  It will allow me to slip the pillow in like a card in an envelope.  That's my favorite way to make pillow covers!
I carefully pin everything and press.   I really like sewing burlap.  As long as you cut and measure correctly, it's fun to sew it.  Pressing it is easy and I love the smell - is that weird?  It reminds me of hay, and barns, and summer...
The seams are nice and neat, but maybe next time I will make it a little tighter fit as the strips of burlap tend to sag a little on the finished product.
I turn it right side out and inspect it before I trim the seams.
I really like how different it is - meant to be decorative, mainly.  And I love that it took me less than an hour and was mostly free from stuff I already had!
 It's a nice little side wall, well-lit by the lamp on the kitchen bar.  And I'm going to just leave it as is, maybe changing the wall art come Spring.
Sewn anything lately?


Gina

Shared with:
http://yesterfood.blogspot.com/2014/01/treasure-box-tuesday-4.html


4 comments:

Gentle Joy said...

Cute pillow - thank you for sharing w/ us. :)

Jane B. said...

Ahhh, love burlap! Great pillow :)

Unknown said...

Love it!! I've linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-knotted-burlap-throw-pillow/2014/01/29/
--Anne

Nidhi Jain said...

Beautiful... I love making envelope cushion covers...Loved the white bow you showed...Came across your post via CraftGossip!

Good Luck :)
Nidhi from http://sunshinendewdrops.blogspot.com