Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Meatballs and Penne with Creamy Pesto Marinara

Late posting for a Wednesday, but I got so much done today it can't be helped.... and I needed an easy skillet meal.  So I created one!
I'll call it Meatballs and Penne with Creamy Pesto Marinara!  
How creative, I know...
It started with a freebie from HEB - buy the pasta, get the sauce.  To that I added a bag of frozen meatballs, with half a block of cream cheese and half a jar of basil pesto that I had in the fridge.  Plus some onion (not pictured).  I love it when I can use the rest of something up without waste!
I started off by sauteing some chopped onion in olive oil while the water boiled for the pasta.
When the onions were soft, I added the pesto and cream cheese. cooking and stirring until the cream cheese was melted.  Then I added the jar of marinara and the package of thawed meatballs and covered it to stay warm, until the pasta was ready.
At this point I also taste tested it for salt.  When the pasta was done, I drained it and added to the sauce, topped with parmesan, and called the troops in.
A side dish of kale was also devoured.  
Not bad for about 15 minutes of cooking time after a busy day!





No comments: