Saturday, June 23, 2012

Iced coffee base

When I was a girl, I remember my mother drinking iced coffee in the afternoons.  Mostly on the weekends.  She would make a mason jar of iced coffee before heading off to do errands, and if I was with her, of course I did the same.   She used the leftover coffee from breakfast and added evaporated milk. I was a coffee lover, too, developing a taste for it that has stayed with me.
I usually add creamer to mine now, since that's how I drink my hot coffee, too.  I learned recently that you can cold brew coffee much like you make iced tea.  I purchased some ground espresso beans  and added about 1/3 pound of it to 2 quarts cold water.  Stirred it a bit to get all the grounds water-logged, then covered with plastic wrap and set in the window sill for most of a day.
It smelled pretty good, even for cold, un-brewed coffee.  I stirred it a few times to make the grounds sink.
 
 I let it sit all day, then strained it through cheesecloth and stored it in a glass container in the fridge.
The concentrated coffee makes a pretty decent glass of iced coffee with some Caramel Macchiato creamer. And provided the fuel for some serious sewing...
It's like having Starbucks in my kitchen!



Shared with:
and


3 comments:

Itsnotjustabouttherecipe said...

Interesting! I, too, am a coffee lover who usually switches to pop in the afternoon. I'm very intrigued by this technique and definitely going to try it as soon as I pick-up some ground espresso beans. Thank you so much for sharing!

Full Circle Creations said...

I love the smell of coffee but not the taste. I've never had iced coffee...maybe I should give that a try. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Holly

Anonymous said...

I need to try this for my hubby who loves coffee... It sounds good...This is definitely on the must try list..
Thanks for sharing at the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY...

Carri
simplydonewright.blogspot.com