Friday, July 23, 2021

5 thing Friday - new hospital, Llano beer, calamari, Mason wineries, peaches

Last weekend, while heading north towards Burnet, I finally remembered to snap a pic or two as we passed the site for the new children's hospital being built in north Austin.  It will be a smaller version of the one I work at, and only a Level 3 for trauma.  
Its my goal to:
*learn a new modality at work (CT) and get registered asap
*get a job at this hospital so I can stay with my current employer
*move to Burnet, where my commute will only be 40 minutes 
On Saturday we visited a brewery we had been meaning to.  It was in a cool old building near the center of town.  The beer was kinda pricey for it being just "OK".
And the main reason we stopped there first was to also eat lunch as they had advertised.  First thing we were told was "hello, we're out of food".  So we got a recommendation for a nearby place to eat, finished our one beer, and left.
We probably won't take pains to return.
However, down the street we found an Italian place with fried calamari that was so, so good, and the best Philly Cheesesteak sammie we have ever had.  So, this place is on our short list of places to revisit in Llano!
Then, In nearby Mason, two different experiences with wine tastings.
The first one, with great wine in a lovely old building with beautiful patio, featured an overall awkward experience with the owner's wife, who could barely be coaxed into greeting or serving us nor ringing us up when we tried to close out.  
Won't be back.
BUT
The tasting we enjoyed at Murphy Creek Cellars was fun - happy, friendly people on both sides of the bar, and all of the wines we tasted were carefully curated for the tasting room and phenomenal.  Plus, Mason is such a cute little town!  Can't wait to go back to this one soon!
I haven't had Mexican breakfast in what feels like forever, but I insist on it this Saturday.  (I am dreaming of barbacoa...) Meanwhile, I am enjoying as many Texas peaches as I can and doing my best at eating healthy breakfast during the week.
Happy Weekend!


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I miss living in Austin. I was only there a short time, but I loved it. Those peaches look phenomenal! They aren’t in here, not the local ones anyway. Once they become available, I will be buying loads of them. Peaches are one of my favorite fruits.