Friday, December 27, 2019

5 thing Friday - weather, wine, charcuterie, Christmas, changes

The weather here has been super pretty.
My backyard may not be magazine-worthy, but I do enjoy sitting out there when its peaceful...
One day out there, a racket started up that lasted about 10 minutes.  It was this squirrel, who then perched where he/she could stare me down.  Couldn't be time for nest building or baby squirrels so I don't know what that was about.
German Christmas wine I found at Trader Joe's.  Not as delish as the Christmas wine I get at WVW,   and so much sweeter.  But I mixed it with an inexpensive Tempranillo, some bourbon-soaked orange slices with cloves and cinnamon sticks, and it was nice to sip out by the firepit.
I was super proud of my new charcuterie board find - it was on clearance from $16 at HEB.  On the wide end it is engraved "blessings" which I guess was a Thanksgiving sentiment so it was $1.50!
One dollar fifty is just my speed - I can't even make one for that.  I loaded it up with cheese rolled in prosciutto, fruit, nuts, and crackers for Christmas Eve.  We also had Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip with French bread chunks,  a cookie tray, and some assorted nibbles.  Since I worked until 7:30 p.m. that day, The Girl and Hubby helped get it all spread out, ready for us to snack and play card games.
Christmas was very different this year.  All of us noticed.  And though it was slow to start, we did enjoy ourselves and each other's company.  But you could tell that no one knew quite how to navigate this new thing of adult kids who come to Mom and Dad's house. 
When to ask them to show up?
Are we still doing stockings?
Do we wait for everyone to arrive to open gifts?
Did we do a good job on their gifts?
When to eat?  When to say good night? 
Hubby and I did talk about it in advance, but it was so foreign-feeling.  My guess is that it will get easier with time as our family continues changing.
We had a late lunch meal of Spiral Sliced Ham, Steakhouse Mac and Cheese, Caesar Salad, rolls, and birthday cake with ice cream for Bubbie's birthday.  A lot of wine was consumed.  And we played a few games, enjoyed the firepit, and a movie.
The Girl and Bubbie both will be with us through next weekend, then we get Teddy for 7 weeks.  And since we have nobody home but us two, it will be hard to go to Highlands for more than a day trip until she comes back to collect him.  So maybe I will get some projects done around the house.  I'm looking forward to quieter times.
And I will definitely do better planning Christmas in 2020.


Gina


No comments: