Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Weekend re-cap: Porky Pig's, Perissos, Highlands, Bull Creek Brewing Co.

Hubby and I headed to Highlands Saturday morning to drop off some things before we sought out a picnic lunch to take to Perissos.  We kept seeing signs for Porky Pigs BBQ - basically a trailer on a large lot just a few miles down FM 2341.
 The sign on the fence leading into the place made me laugh!
The owner, Randy, was very friendly and his BBQ was VERY good.  He gave us two ribs to try, saying he wanted to make sure we became regular customers...they were falling off the bone tender.
 He had a guy playing guitar in one corner of the yard.  The music was great - had we not had plans to meet my sister and BIL we would have stayed and listened a while.
 Lots of shaded places to eat lunch!  Porky Pig is open until the BBQ sells out - sometimes around 1 in the afternoon.
I never met a pork rib I didn't like, but these were really good.  Just simple seasonings and oak smoke.  We took our ribs to go, sat at the winery for a couple of hours, then at Highlands for a friendly game or two of cards.  It was hot, but pleasant under the oaks with a fan going.  Its great to get to see my family on the weekends!
 The next morning I was up before Hubby to enjoy the sunrise.
 
 A whitetail deer came along...snorting and stamping at me from several yards away.
Eventually she leaped away and I noticed there were several others with her, so I guess she was the lookout or something.  We ate leftover ribs for breakfast with some eggs and just generally relaxed until noon.  It was just too hot to stay longer, so we headed to a brewery nearby that we had yet to visit.
I liked all of their beers and they had some doozies - the salted caramel porter was amazing, along with a watermelon beer and a couple of shandies with blueberry or raspberry.  We are considering joining their beer club since it is a quick stop from Highlands on Sundays and the beer would work out to about $2.77 for a pint.  We enjoyed a couple of ham sandwiches and a tasting, hanging out for a bit, then headed home.
When we got home I fixed skillet pork chops, brussels sprouts, and creamy mashed potatoes - all of it was so good and both of us were worn out.  This is a pretty busy week for us, so it was nice to get a great meal on Sunday and end on a relaxing note, ready to start our week.  Is July really over??!!



1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Pork ribs! You have my mouth watering. I can almost smell the wood smoke.