Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Weekend re-cap: Brenham, Saddlehorn, Rohan, Westcave, Family Business

 Last Saturday we traveled to Brenham to help my mother with a big project.  Lets just say that by the time we left, a mere 5 hours later, we were sweaty and tired and in need of some down time.  Much as I like to help my mother, I also need to have weekends to recover from the week!
So we stopped at Saddlehorn Winery in Burton to sit in their air conditioned tasting room and enjoy their Barn Red, which was perfect on a hot day! 
I always really enjoy visiting this winery out in the country and we used to be members of their wine club.  But it is a far piece from Camp Rustown, and the pick-ups were competing with other things we had going on.  So we'll just enjoy visiting there whenever we can!  I really enjoy how they have finished out the inside of their metal building:
 That ceiling!
The walls for the rooms don't go all the way to the top and are edged out with oak trim - very pretty.  Ideas for our place at Highlands - yes, I have a file full of photos of things we see that I love!
 Next stop was a meadery in La Grange at a place called Blissful Folly Farm.
Along with mead they sell cider, wine, and honey.  The tasting room was cool and inviting and the staff was friendly and enthusiastic about their products.  They are a working farm, too.  Lots to do and see here!
 They have their own food truck, feature live music on Saturdays, and you can roam the property - we will definitely go back!
 
We purchased a growler of pear cider and a couple of fun silicone wine glasses to sit outside in their breezy patio.  Even with temps in the high 90's it was pleasant.
Lots of seating out there for us to bring a picnic - we will go back soon for lunch and music, and maybe a glass or two of their mead - I loved the blackberry one!  We headed home late afternoon and enjoyed some Sushiya from HEB for dinner on our own patio. 
******
The next day we headed to Westcave Cellars to pick up my bulletin board from their cork art contest.  (fyi - I didn't win, but I am OK with that!)
We were the only customers there for at least an hour, so we enjoyed our Jersey Mike's sammie wraps and some cool wine under their giant shady oaks.  I will never get tired of lunch al fresco under oaks trees!
They had a family band playing - it wasn't on their schedule, so I don't know exactly who they are.  But the guy playing guitar and harmonica was great, and his son and daughter joined him on stage.  By this time there were a couple of other people out there enjoying the music, but it was getting HOT so we headed over to Family Business on our way home.
 I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this place, but my niece is married to the master brewer here, Nate. (and unfortunately, we never see him, since we only ever visit on Sundays) The brewery is owned by the main actor in the show "Supernatural".  Its a great place - huge yard, food trucks, playground for the kids...and usually some live music on the weekends:
But all weekends must end, and after this guy left the stage we headed home.
 And since that was a lot of driving around Central Texas, hopefully the weekend ahead will see us sticking closer to Highlands.




No comments: