Friday, November 8, 2013

Potted plant cheat

I had purchased a smallish mum from Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, to kill on my deck.  Well, actually the plan was for it to look nice in this terra cotta pot.  It died anyway. So, I purchased a Croton from Home Depot - let's see if I have better luck.  They have so many Fall colors on them - so pretty!  And according to HD, you have a year to return it if it dies, just bring the dead plant and your receipt.  
Sounds like a good deal.
Darn it, my $4 plant didn't quite fit in the pot.  Not to worry.  I stuffed newspaper alongside it in the pot, then camo'd the paper with moss.  If it lives, I will actually pot it in this planter.  Notice I wrote "if".  I haven't had good luck with potted plants lately.  They either die or the squirrels dig in them.
Maybe if the squirrels don't notice dirt, they'll keep out.
I think the moss just looks nicer than putting extra mulch or big rocks...
So far that fix has helped keep them from digging in the large pots alongside the house.




No comments: