Friday, May 24, 2013

Homemade seasoning blends

I love buying different spices and seasoning blends - some favorites of ours are Cavendar's Greek and Salzanador Total.
But I could just as easily whip up custom spices of my own, and I do when I have just a small amount left in the spice jar and want to use it up.  I've been saving the caps from the empty parmesan container to screw onto a mason jar just for that purpose:
Aren't my labels fancy-dancy?  Imperfectly perfect.
They live in the spice cabinet next to the cooktop and I use the super pepper seasoning on everything.  I couldn't tell you what all is in it - dabs of this and that.  But mostly it has salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The taco seasoning is adapted from recipes I see on various blogs - when you are making your own seasoning mix, you tweek it to adapt to your taste, which is what I did:

Taco Seasoning 
1 1/2 T sea salt
2 T black pepper
6 T chili powder
4 T ground cumin
4 t. paprika
2 t garlic powder
2 t. onion powder
2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
2 t. sugar

******
It smells wonderful - can't wait to use it in ground turkey for taco salads this summer!





Shared with:
and


No comments: